Has anyone had a manual version done?

I'm scheduled on friday for a c sect but doc wants to try to do a manual version to see if can make it an induction rather than a c sect. Has anyone had one? How painful are they? Did it work?

urthat1chick

Asked by urthat1chick at 8:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• what is your definition of a manuel version? sorry, i googled it and got nothing.
    Anonymous

• Is it like the cervadil? I had that. It helps to ripen your cervix and dialate you quicker. That might be what you're talking about (and maybe not). If so, No, they do not hurt at all. They insert this string-like thingy into you and it works on its own. Next thing you know they manually break your water (which is uncomfy, but doesn't necessarily hurt) and then you're on your way to having a baby. Good luck and congrats!!!
    AmberGeesey

Answer by AmberGeesey at 8:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• what is a manual version ??
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I've heard of a cephalic version...but not manuel version....are they the same thing ? If so, I had it done when I was in labor with my son who was breech. It hurts like crazy. I had bruises all over my abdomen. They lay you flat on your bed and put it at an angle so your head is down lower than your feet. Then go at it. I finally begged for them to stop and went ahead with my C-Section. My son did not turn at all. Then when I got pregnant with my daughter who was also breech, I didn't attempt to have her turned at all, I wasn't going thru that again. I don't want to scare you but yes, it does hurt. Tho it seems like everything about having a baby hurts...lol
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I havent had one done but I hear it hurts bad. But on the flip side, not as bad as recovery from a c-section. I can't remember the name of the procedure but alot of midwifes reffer women to a chiropractor for it that helps turn babies, is supposed to be just as effective and alot less painful, of corse I dont think insurance covers it but around here it isnt more than around $100. I cant recall what it is called, but if you call a few chiropractors they will know what you are talking about. GL I hope things work out for you.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• OK BEFORE YOU DO THIS....

Try going to a chiropracter who has experience with the Webster Technique!!! Call around and find one with the best "baby turn over" rate. Many chiropracters have a 90% or more sucess rate of flipping babies.

Manuel Versions only have like a maximum of 60% and there are SO MANY risk to having one done. You could end up with a uterine rupture or at the very least being rush in to the OR for an emergency c-section.

Other things you can do at home that are VERY effective are:

-Putting a bag of ice on your belly where the baby's head is.
    -Using a flash light to guide your baby head down. (they see it and often will follow it)
    -Propping your hips up in the air on 4 pillows or something the equivilant for 10 minutes at a time AT LEAST once a day. This allows for the top of the uterus to fill with amniotic fluid that is usually at the bottom due to gravity. It will give the baby enough fluid
    Anonymous

• and room to turn around.

Also check out the hypnobabies CD "Turn Your Breech Baby" which can be purchased for about 15 dollars at www.hypnobabies.com

AND if all else fails find out what TYPE of breech baby you have (what breech position) and depending on the position find a doctor that is experienced in breech delivery. They are not as dangerous as everyone would like to make you think and depending on your baby and your body a breech delivery may be safer than a c-section.

GOOD LUCK!!
    Anonymous

• According to Henci Goer (The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth), a vaginal birth carries no more risks than a c-section, and recovery is much better. However, you have to find a doc who's willing to do it due to lack of experience and fear of lawsuit. There are a couple "home version positions": "Three times a day for ten to fifteen minutes, lie on your back with bent knees and your hips elevated about twelve inches on cushions, or lie on a propped ironing board. Pick times when your baby is active and your stomach and bladder are empty. Have someone help you...." relax, visualize what you want baby to do, playing music into area above pubic bone sometimes coaxes baby that direction. Knee-chest position (head on floor, but in air) may help, too. (I'm trying to cram a summary of this chapter in a short area!) -continued...-
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• -Continued- "Interestingly, a low-tech [version] has long been practiced by traditional midwives.... [Mayan midwives] accomplished the procedure so easily that the mother never knew anything unusual had occurred. Some midwives in this country carry on in the same tradition. They find that with a relaxed, trusting mother and a gentle, coaxing technique that treats babies respectfully and doesn't startle them into resistance, babies turn easily and without complications...." There is also the "high Teck version" which means the doc uses medication while he does it. More risky, but not as risky as c-section! There are also things like accupuncture and something called moxibustion. Might be hocus-pocus, but I'd try just about anything before a section! Ok, I know that was a long answer, but I wish you the best, and hope you don't have to do the section!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• ON AN EMPTY STOMACH AND WITH AN EMPTY BLADDER (to give baby lots of room) lay somewhere quiet, relax your abdomen as much as possible and visualize your baby turning over into a head down facing back position.

I can't remember the women's name who created this technique but she had an over 80% "turn rate" in babies.
    Anonymous