Why is guilt associated with Catholics

Just finished watching desperate housewives. Gabby was acting like her normal self and said something about being Catholic hence the guilt. This isn't the first time I heard Catholics carry a lot of guilt. Where does this come from?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• How do they do that? What do they beat into your head?
    Anonymous

• I'm Catholic and I feel guilty about sins that I have committed.
    Anonymous

• Because they beat it into your head.

I was raised catholic so don't give me crap about my answer.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• This reminds me of a story called" The duck and the devil" This little boy accidentally kills his grandma's favorite duck. Only his sister sees what had happened. Well all throughout the story the boy is being blackmailed by his sister till he finally gives up and tells grandma.Grandma told him she had seen what had happened and had forgave him then. She was just waiting until he would finally break down and tell her, and ask for forgiveness. She said the devil tries to do the same thing to us. God sees what we do and he forgives it ,but we must repent. The devil tries to use guilt the same way the little girl did to fool us into believing we are not forgiven so that we will do his bidding.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My husband had Catholic guilt until I beat it out of him. Actually I allowed him to make mistakes and to be honest about it. It took about 10 years.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 9:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Nathskitten- Sounds like apostolics... They beat their beliefs in your head at a VERY young age.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009