My son won't come inside, what do I do?

My son is almost 3 years old. It is almost summer but its still pretty chilly outside.

We have a fenced in, away from the road property. He want to play play play outside. After a while I get exhausted after school and I just want to relax inside. Not sleep but just relax. I'm confused. It is a full on fight/tantrum/exhausting expirence to get him inside. After I get him inside all he does is scream and try to leave out the glass door.

Jess_TheMom13

Asked by Jess_TheMom13 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My two year old does the same thing. We tell her that she has so many minutes left til it is time to go inside to eat dinner (or whatever we need to do) then carry her in and offer her her choice of juice/water and a small snack (if not dinner time). She usually throws a small fit, but forgets about it once she's offered to pick a drink.
    I'm a fan of letting my child (and the children I teach) play, but never indulge. That's not what being a mom is about in my opinion, as a teacher I've had to deal with the "indulged" child and it's not easy for the teacher to set boundaries if they are not set at home first. Our responsibilities as moms are to be the first teachers and teach are children boundaries while letting them play and learn.
    ayleana

Answer by ayleana at 9:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You're mom! You tell him it's time to come inside, and then give him two options of things he may do inside (pick things he will like, like have a snack, play with a favorite toy, etc.) He will probably be so involved in picking which of the two activities he wants to do that he won't think of ways to try and stay outside. If that doesn't work, tell him it is time to come inside, and if he doesn't come then warn him that if he doesn't obey he will lose a privelege, like having to go to bed 1/2 hour sooner, no dessert, etc. You're mom, and he needs to do what you ask of him.
    CLRief

Answer by CLRief at 8:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• dont be lazy play with ur kid
    Anonymous

• pick him up and take him in. my daughter is the same way we can be outside for 3 hours playing and she still doesn't want to come in and will throw tantrums. just try to distract him when you get inside. if he doesn't want to stop the tantrum, punish him, and if that doesn't work tell him until he learns that you are the one that says when it is time to go in its time to go in now w/o arguing than you won't take him out to play. its not lazy to want to sit down and relax, and he's old enough to learn that he has to listen now not in an hour
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thats a stupid thing to say first annonmys answer. You must not be a mother. We all get lazy once in a while.
    : /
    Shame on you.
    Anonymous

• No one wants to have to deal with a tantruming kid, but if you don't establish whose boss when he's small enough to tuck under your arm, he'll be one hell of a tantrumer when he's too big to spank! Whenever I hear mom's complain about their kids watching TV or not cleaning their room, I wonder if no one ever told her, "You're the mom!" Is he mature enough to understand if you remove the privilege of going outside in response to a tantrum?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son is 2 years old and I'm going thru the same thing with him now that it;s getting nice out and I can see it's going to be a HUGE struggle ALL SUMMER.

I tell him he has 5 or 10 minutes left and when the time is up I tell him it's time to come in and if he starts whining or throwing a fit I pick him up and bring him inside, he of course throws his fit, but he gets over it real quick.

Someone suggested buying a timer and telling my son he has 5 minutes left and when the timer dings then he knows time is upl! I think I might try it and maybe we will have less of a struggle coming inside....
    laura30261

Answer by laura30261 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I'm sorry but I'm a fan of let the kid play, I know you wanna relax, but do it outside where you can watch him. I don't like to stay outside with my son all day either but I do. Its part of being a mom. Indugle your kid, he's only gonna want you around for so long anyways. In the next few years you'll be beging for time with him.
    Anonymous

• Set a timer. When it rings, reset it and tell him that he has 5 more minutes. Warn him again at about 2 mintues. Many kids have issues with transitions, especially when they are leaving something they like.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I found that giving the kids a warning helps tremendously, I give them a 10 minuet, 5 min. & 2 min. warning. . . that way you give them the courtesy of wrapping up whatever they are doing, and fare warning that outside time is almost over. I have four children ages 6-2 and it works wonders for all of them, if I don't give them warning I will get guff, but if they are expecting it they usally obey pretty instantly with little to no, "Please MOmmies!"
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009