Help! Thrush is killing me!

I was hoping I could get some input from folks who have successfully treated thrush on their nipples. I am on my second round of diflucan and baby is being treated with Nystatin. I've used vinegar rinses, antifungal creams, yogurt, etc. Nothing seems to work. I've been to my doctor (who is clueless about breastfeeding) and a lactation consultant. Both have offered different treatments, but they've had no effect. Breastfeeding is extremely painful and I am dying for relief. Fortunately my baby isn't showing any symptoms, so I don't have a fussy boy to deal with too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sweetgabesmom

Asked by sweetgabesmom at 8:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you HAVE TO GO TO THE DOCTOR to get it taking care of you need meds for it and you baby will have to have meds too even if he or she is not showing yet trust me YOU DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH IT call your doctor hon you need meds
    Anonymous

• Thrush was absolutely horrible and near-to-impossible to get rid of. The only thing that somewhat worked was when both baby and I were put on an RX. Nystatin for baby DID NOT help! Diflucan prescribed for both baby and I was the only thing that showed any kid of results. I put both Lotrimin and Nystatin cream on my nipples. I also aired out my nipples as often as I could (especially after I applied the cream)...yes, that means walking around bare-chested. I sanatized EVERYTHING including toys, passies, bottles & nipples. The problem with Thrush, when breastfeeding, is that you keep passing it back and forth to each other. And just when you think you have it under it'll show it's ugly face again. I treated it for months and saw an actual end to it when my kids hit an age where they could start eating some milk products like yogurt or cottage cheese to help combat the fungus...probably around 6 or 7 months of age.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 9:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Does it go away after you stop breastfeeding? My daughter got it and I was fed up with BF anyways so I stopped. My nipples always look kind of dry and such; does that mean its still there?
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 9:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html#treatments

maybe this can help
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Jack Newman's website has great thrush treatment. He suggests a huge loading dose of diflucan, and treating you and baby at the same time. I Just google him.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Jack Newman's Candida protocol on Kellymom.com SAVED MY LIFE!!!
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html

Also, gentian violet!! The above article talks about it but there's another by the same doc (on the same website, no less!) specifically about GV:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html

APNO (all-purpose nipple ointment, aka triple nipple cream/ointment) is WONDERFUL also. You have to have a Rx for it, but Walgreens can make it for you once your doc gives the RX to you. It's got an antifungal, a steroid and an antibacterial in it.

My DD was not fussy the first round of yeast we had, but she had it too. Is his tongue white? Does he have a diaper rash? These are things to look for in the baby.

I was hurting so bad I had to pump a couple of nights because the nursing was excrutiating. I know exactly what that's like! Hang in there!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 1:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Thanks for the suggestions! I checked out Jack Newman and I think I'm going to try the gentian violet and APNO. My lactation consultant suggested that too. I guess I was hoping to hear some success stories. I feel like I've had thrush forever!
    sweetgabesmom

Answer by sweetgabesmom at 10:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have used Grapefruitseed extract with great success as well.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp

The APNO was super expensive :( I ended up not using it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Have you gone on an anti-candida diet? Basically you eliminate all of the yeast food from your diet (foods containing yeast such as breads, sweet foods such as fruit juices or sugars, etc.). There are varying degrees of the diet. If you're severely infected you might want to buy a book called "Candida Diet" that breaks down the foods into different categories and basically steps you through "stages" at which you can re-introduce certain foods. It's very helpful.

Garlic can kill yeast, particularly if you consume it raw.

Powder your bra with probiotics, get your child on infant probiotics, and make sure you bleach your bras when you wash them. Try to dry them outside in the sun inside out. It kills yeast.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 10:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• try Gentian Violet.you can get it from like whole foods or central market. i dilute it with a touch of water take a cotton swab and rub it on her tounge and my nipples. it helps alot
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 2:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2009