what position is the baby supposed to be in when you give birth?

I am 37 weeks and my doctor told me today that she's head down but that her head is facing up...he said she'll probably turn to one side before labor. What is the best position for the baby to be in when you give birth?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just what your doctor said, facing slightly to the side or back moves through the birth canal the best. Facing forward isn't a big problem, baby just fits through the birth canal differently. Your doc is right, though, she will probably turn, and even if you go into labor in that position, she could still turn. Don't worry! Good luck!

adel
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• head down but its head is supose to be to your backside when it comes out i heard if it comes out face up then it i guess hurts really bad
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yes, you have a star gazer...baby facing the sky if you are on your back...and it hurts more in labor, and it takes longer to dilate as the crown of the head is pushing on your tailbone instead of directly on your cervix. MOST babies will turn on their own, if you are really worried about it then do some cat stretches, hands and knees arch your back and then driop, for a few seconds at a time as long as you can tolerate, this will help baby to disengage and turn. GL
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It's called a baby being *sunny side up* or posterior. It's just a variation of normal. In fact, babies used to only be posterior. We have evolved for babies to rotate during birth. (neanderthals delivered all posterior babies when head down, nifty huh?).

If your baby remains posterior it *could* mean a harder labor: but if you are allowed to labor on all fours, or in squatting it definitely helps move the baby through the canal. On your back/semi sitting are not the best for birth period though.

Head down is ideal, but breech is just a variation of normal so breech presentation wouldn't be a problem either if you have a good doctor.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• head down :D
    if its @$$ coming out first he or she is trying to say "THIS WORLD CAN KISS MY @$$"

=]
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 9:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• "(neanderthals delivered all posterior babies when head down, nifty huh?)"

How in tarnation did you figure that out??
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I'll find the link lol. I read an article on it today. they did a study of pelvic structures etc.. if you give me time to find it again I will post it!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• http://www.physorg.com/news159548688.html

Quote: The size of Tabun’s reconstructed birth canal shows that Neanderthal childbirth was about as difficult as in present-day humans. However, its shape indicates that Neanderthals retained a more primitive birth mechanism than modern humans, without rotation of the baby’s body.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My second was posterior and the labor was about the same as my first for pain, but pushing her out was definitely harder. With my first I pushed squatting and somewhat lying down, but with my second I felt i needed to be on all fours and that is when she finally came out. Took me twice as long to push the second out as the first and it hurt and I tore more.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009