Science/space question

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30353034

Usually I would ask my husband lol, cuz I don't understand this sort of stuff, but he's not here. I'm so confused, please dumb it down as best you can :-) "As astronomers gaze deeper into space, they are looking farther back in time. What Ouchi found was from 12.9 billion years ago." Does this mean that the past is the present, in the galaxy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It means whatever light he was looking at left the object that many years ago and just got here now. Whatever is going on now will be visible in 13 billion years when THAT light gets here.

Sunlight takes about 8 minutes to get from the sun to the earth, so when you see the sun, you are seeing "8 minutes ago".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Look at it sort of like this - if you're out in your backyard and you throw a ball at someone standing on the other side of the yard. You are a star or planet way out in space. Your yard is the universe. The person who catches the ball is us here on Earth. The ball is the light, projecting an image from the star or planet.

You throw it out there, but it has to travel to the person at the other end, but by the time it gets to the person at the other end, you're on to doing something else...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• NP explained it perfectly. So yeah, it kinda is like we are seeing the past in the present. hmmm.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2009