Science/space question {piof}

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30353034

Usually I would ask my husband lol, cuz I don't understand this sort of stuff, but he's not here. I'm so confused, please dumb it down as best you can :-) "As astronomers gaze deeper into space, they are looking farther back in time. What Ouchi found was from 12.9 billion years ago." Does this mean that the past is the present, in the galaxy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh boy. I think it means we won't know what's happening in the present until 12.9 billion years from now! You know, like a REALLY bad delay on a phone line!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I was watching the Discovery Channel last week and on the show I was watching, they were doing the same thing and I couldn't understand what they meant either :) It is confusing to me but science has never been my thing.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I answered your other one - essentially it means it took that long for the light to get here.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Ohhhhh, now I get it. Thanks NotPanicking!
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• As NotPanicking said, this means that the light scientists are now seeing took 12.9 billion years to get here. The term about 'looking backwards in time' is because we are seeing what was sent 12.9 billion years ago, not what is there at present. Just to put it in everyday terms, it's like if you are seeing me on a webcam with a ten minute time delay. So you may see me sitting there, but that is the image from ten minutes ago- I may have gone somewhere else completely different in the meantime. Hence we may see starts that haven't existed for millions of years because it takes their light so long to reach us... time and space are remarkably fluid when you think about it, aren't they?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The universe is constantly expanding, so who knows what else is out there to discover.
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009