2 year old reverting back to thumb sucking?

My son turned 2 in March and was always a thumb sucker , but then back in Jaunary he just stopped, its like he forgot about his thumb! I thought we were over thumb sucking, but just last week he started sucking his thumb ALL THE TIME now--day, night, etc.

We were around our friends kid who sucks his thumb 2 weeks ago and it seems like shortly after we saw them my son started sucking his thumb, do you think him seeing the other boy sucking his thumb reminded him of it again?

I guess I'm just frustrated because instead of going forward I feel like my son is going backward!?!?

laura30261

Asked by laura30261 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be that he saw the other boy sucking his thumb, but I would think that it's more likely a signal that he's not getting all of his needs met. Are you a very busy person? Do you take steps to include him whenever possible? Does he have little chores around the house? Even something as simple as helping you water the plants or feed the dog can do wonders for a little one's self-esteem. Give him some cuddle time every day, take some time to sit with him and play or read a book. If you work, make him your priority when you get home, and if you stay home, then take steps to include him more often and play with him on his level.

Thumb sucking is a comfort measure. If he doesn't feel the need to self-soothe he won't suck his thumb (hopefully :p).

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You know my son was a binkie kid for the first 9 month latly he's found an old binkie and I talked to the doctor...she said it was just him expressing stress.
    Jerebearsmommy

Answer by Jerebearsmommy at 2:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2009