Does anyone else have PCOS and are not considered overweight?

I've had irregular cycles since I got my period around 13. I've been tested a few times and put on the pill to regulate them in the past but have never really been diagnosed with anything other than irregular cycles. I ended up taking clomid to get pregnant and had twins. FINALLY today my doctor diagnosed me with PCOS. I've been tested before but there were only a few cysts on my ovaries so the didn't diagnos me with anything. Today there were plenty of cysts on my ovaries and the diagnosis is PCOS. I have a few of the symptoms but I'm at my ideal weight or maybe just on the thin side, 118-120 usually. I know that you don't necessarily have to be overweight to have this but it seems more uncommon to me. Does anyone else have PCOS and is not really considered overweight? Also what are the other health issues associated with this?

TwinsMommy08

Asked by TwinsMommy08 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Health

• When I was first diagnosed I was not overweight. Irregular cycles, abnormal bleeding, excruciating cramping, hair excessive hair growth were it shouldn't be growing, skin tags, all these can be symptioms. What I have learned over the years is some women have all the symptoms, some have only a few and others have basically none. I lost my right ovary due to cysts that began to hemmorrhage. Oddly enough, even though my left has cysts too, My cycles for the first time in my life went to 28 days, cramping was better and in general the symptoms have all but gone away. It is very individual. I'm glad you had a good experience with clomid. PCOS makes getting PG harder, but it is certainly not impossible.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I suspect I have PCOS. Irregular cycles since I was 14. Acne or skin breakouts on and off for 25 yrs. Started getting peach fuzz on my jaw at around 14....thankfully I have light hair but I am starting to have to deal with it now. I am not overweight.
    I believe one of my ovaries is no longer functioning at all. I almost did clomid for the last pregnancy but by the time the blood work came back to check for ovulation we were already pregnant.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have pcos and I am 120lbs wich is an ideal weight for me. I used clomid to get pregnant, it took 3 months but it worked. There has been an association between PCOS and an inability to utilize insulin but if your not overweight I wouldn't worry about it. For the most part it just leads to lack of ovulation and increased male hormones.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 12:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2009