• In the Spotlight:

Do you take your baby to a family doctor for well visits?

I've been taking my 6 month old to a general practicioner for her well visits. She is also my doctor as well. I have found that she is the best, most caring and informative doctor my baby has ever been to. I brought her to 3 different pediatricians before her current doctor, and they all sucked. I am so happy with our doctor. My whole family sees her and I wouldn't want it any other way.

carastacey

Asked by carastacey at 9:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did for awhile, until i figured out that this doctor in particular was the type that would do what you wanted, unless it came to certain things. for example, she had a boil (i believe still don't know) on her butt, i told him at first i thought it was an infected bug bite but after a few weeks i thought it was a boil. when i said bug bite he was like oh yeah thats a bug bite, then i said boil and he was like oh yeah thats a boil. but when i said i wanted a referral for her to see an ENT doc b/c of the way she snores he kept saying no its too early. so when i needed an answer he wouldn't give me one and when i knew something was wrong he just ignored it. drove me nuts. now she sees a ped. and i love the man she sees, she likes him, he makes her laugh and he listens to what i have to say but doesn't expect me to diagnose her either.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• A family doctor is just fine for routine visits. My children go to a pedatritian becuse they have special needs and we found a clinic that was set up for kids with special needs. They are connected with one of the best children's hospitals in CA.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• When my kids were babies they saw a family doctor and I really liked him. He really listened and he knew kids well. They see a pediatrician since we moved and I really like her as well. If it is a good doctor and really knows what she is doing and you are comfortable with her then I would stay with that doctor. It's hard to find a good doctor that you like and is a really good doctor too.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is now 2 and she has never been seen by a pediatricion. In Pa our family all was seen by the same family practice doc that we all loved very much. He would always take the time to talk to us even if he was running behind. then my hubby joined the army and we lost that doc. but she still sees general family practice and that is fine with us!!

Anonymous

• Yep, my kids have always seen our family Dr. When needed, she has sent them to a specialist. It has worked great for us!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Nope. The kids see a pediatrician. Too many family doctors aren't specialized for kids, especially young ones. (not saying that yours aren't!!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i took my first to a family doctor and my 15 month old until my 15 month old was probably 8 months old. I had a family doctor that delivered my first baby never again would I had him deliver another baby long story, but he was a great family doctor I had him until my daughter was about 18 months then he didn't take my insurance anymore so I had to go to a diffrent doctor that I didn't really like much and she was use to the other doctor she would go to him and everything the new doctor touched her she started screaming lol. Had that doctor only a couple months didn't like that one because she didnt see the same doctor all the time and I like to see the same doctor. Had the doctor before this one and I really didn't like him, but was tired of searching well I waited a little now I am going to a pediatrishion that was the first one when my second was about 8 months old and I really like her.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I rather a pediatrishon to see my kids because I think they no more and they tell you more and they see your child once a year for a checkup to where my family doctor stopped seeing her at 2 and said he didn't need to see her again until she starts school
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes. My doctor is wonderful. He also practices as an obgyn so he was there through my whole pregnancy and delivered my dd and takes care of her now. He is Mine, my DH, my dds, and will be my other dds when she is born!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:15 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Our insurance doesn't allow pediatricians except if there's a special need, so we've just used our family doctor. But we love him, and with five kids of his own, he's seen all the "routine" stuff himself! Of course, he can refer us to a "specialist" (including a Ped.) any time he feels it's necessary. It just hasn't been in our case.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 8:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009