When did happiness become trademarked?

Ooook, so I've been talking to people (here and IRL) and those who are religious honestly think that athiests are unhappy people....why is this?

When did religious people get a trademark for happiness? I mean, looking back on things, I can recall MANY religious people I knew who were very very unhappy (suicidal unhappy)....and yet, those who don't believe are still told (or thought to be) truly unhappy.

I mean, would it create mass hysteria for religious people to admit an athiest could actually be truly completely happy with their lives?

crkirby

Asked by crkirby at 9:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Would it be horrible for you to admit that religious people can be happy? Why does this bug you so much? If somebody thinks you are unhappy or not at peace with your life does that make it true?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It just comes along with the ignorance of anyone outside of your own box.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• They're taught that because it's just another hook to keep them believing. If you think that if you fall from grace that you will be completely unhappy, would you want to risk letting yourself doubt? If eternal hellfire wasn't enough, I mean :p
    Anonymous

• teamquinn.....I never stated in my post what I believed. I was simply stating that the majority of people who are religious when broached with the idea of an athiest jump to "they are unhappy" or "they are unfulfilled"....

BUT, for the record, I am an athiest, and no I don't have a problem with religious people being happy....why the heck would I? Happiness is happiness in my book, no matter where/how you achieve it. :D
    crkirby

Answer by crkirby at 9:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• They go by what they experience. I think people would rather they do it out of being mean spirited. Christians are loving people and want to share the great joy they have found in God. Yet people will twist their intent to make it look like they are doing something else entirely.

So what is the point of this question really? To bash Christians. Sorry to diappoint,but for once I am not going to take the bait. Good luck and goodbye.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Religious and happy!
    Even when I am in a bad place I know God is watching over me and I am happy! But the actual trademark didn't happen until yesterday.
    Anonymous

• I know what you mean. Apparenty we are empty of spirituality and have no real reason to be happy if we have no accepted god into our lives.

Personally, i don't feel the need to grip onto so kind of religous being or what have you kust to be happy. It seems almost weak to me.
    Anonymous

• Religion has the trademark on weak and happy now!
    Anonymous

• Because most of God's fan club cannot fathom the concept of anyone being happy without their deity in his/her life.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• People say ignorant things when they themselves are lost and do not understand things. They themselves are not happy unless they have religion (or so they tell themselves) so then they make that the mold for everyone.
    It doesn't bother anyone that people say this but it is a bit annoying to hear it over and over again.
    But religion has used this as a tool to prove they are better. It is like kids saying "My Dad can beat up your Dad".
    The truth of happiness is you are the only person that can make yourself happy. God can help, Goddess can help, anyone can help but it is up to you to get there. And people have a hard time grasping that.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 10:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009