how can i get my 3 1/2 year old boy to stop cusing i have tryed hot sauce and now i am using a bar of soap and it still seems not to help any ideas???

ihave2boys3and1

Asked by ihave2boys3and1 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you curse around him? He got it from somewhere and the person he is getting it from he probably respects greatly. Do time outs instead of soap? Boys eat weird things like that to begin with lol. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• make sure you're not cussing cause that will be impossible to preach, I'd slap his mouth... not hard!! but it will probably be more of a shock and i dont know anybody who likes their face being slapped even if it doesnt hurt. or if you're not comfortable with that put him in timeout
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The first thing I would do is have the person or people that your child is hearing the cussing from to stop talking like that in front of your child. I know that if my son picks up a bad habit and I make a big deal out of it, he does it more. :) so fun! He does it to get my goat. Since you have already let your child know that it's not okay maybe try to not make a huge deal out of it. I don't know, I don't know your child, but it might work. I'm not saying to not say anything but, maybe like "you said that bad word again, it's time out time" and then walk off or something (after the childs in time out) :)
    Anonymous

• You are going to have to stop cursing so much around him. Who is he learning this from?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Try taking something that he's attatched to away for a certain length of time every time he cusses. Maybe that'll work.....
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Kid's don't always cuss because of the parents, walk through any store and your child will come out with a new word.

The problem with soap and hot sauce is that the child get's used to it, so it holds no real effect for them. I agree with anon, he does it to get your goat. I did what you did with my older two and by the next set of kids I figured out that if I don't make a big deal out of it, they stop on thier own. If they said sh*&, I would just look at them and say didn't you mean shoot, and move on. Some were a little more stubborn then others, but all of them would stop and use the more appropriate word. Give it a try..
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Well, besides the fact that you are causing physical pain to a young child for saying words that he is probably hearing from your mouth...Just ignore the words and watch the language in the house. Kids do things to get our attention. If the behavior doesn't get the attention, the behavior usually goes away. My mother swears like a sailor, but she watched her mouth when we were young because she didn't want us repeating it. Like a pp said, you could also take away favorite toys or privileges when he does swear.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I am sorry but I think putting hot sauce and soap in your child's mouth especially for saying something that he obviously heard others say is child abuse! Hot foods can actually cause suffocation of small children and soap can cause intestinal pain, what kind of Mother would want to risk doing either of those things to their child? He is saying inappropriate words, I think you need to make the punishment fit the crime. Try a time out or removing a favorite toy for awhile. I am really blown away that there are "parents" out there that think this is appropriate in any way! Wow!

Anonymous

• Ignore it. Right now he is getting a ton of attention from it. Try ignoring it for a few weeks, see if that works.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2009