Cant get baby to drink bottle

I had my son 4 days ago and I decided not to breastfeed for numorous reasons so he is on the bottle. He will not suckle from the bottle and seems completely un-interested in eating. He does not ever seem to be hungry either and sleeps alot just not during the night. He gets fussy unless he is picked up but still no eating. this happen to anyone else ? and what did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The tar like poop is common in newborns I wouldnt worry so much about that. I would talk to the nurses. Perhaps you should try a soy formula. That is what my son is on, cuz he spits up so much. You could always try microwaving slightly a receiving blanket and wrapping it around his tummy. It will help release the gas or the gas drops work well and arent absorbed into the blood stream so they are safe to use with every feeding if you had to.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If he gets hungry enough he will eat. Make sure it's the right temp. some babies are really picky. If he still hasn't eaten within 24 hours you should call the doctor.
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 10:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I agree with above- he will eat if hungry- but try different temps. Maybe it is too hot or too cold. ALso- have you tried more than one type of bottle? SOme babies don't like certain bottles. Also- make sure the nipple isn't clogged- although you'd think he would cry if he was hungry and just couldn't get food out of the bottle. Definitely watch how many wet and poopy diapers he has. If he isn't having enough- call the doctor. Newborns can't afford to being losing a lot of weight or getting dehydrated.
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Definitly watch his diapers. The hospital that I delivered at gave me some nipples that are easier for newborns to take. You can try different nipples out or you can talk to your ped about which one is best. Good luck to you!
    Williamswifey

Answer by Williamswifey at 11:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• CONTINUED:

yeah I tried all different types of bottles. He has tar like poops that are sticky but now they are starting to become harder and he does have alot of gas so I am not sure that the formula is right. I started with similac when he was first born but he could not hold it down at all so I switched to infamil lipil with iron and he has TONS of gas! you can tell hes uncomfortable. My first daughter had colic and she had to use Nutramigen and it worked really well for her fussiness/gas pains. Should I switch or should I hold off trying to feed him for a few hours till I definently know hes hungry?-see if he will eat better?
    faithsMoM27

Answer by faithsMoM27 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You should try different types of bottles a nipples. My sister said after she tried breast feeding and didnt like it she had to try 7 different bottles before she found one that my nephew liked. Make sure he is having at least 6 wet diapers a day. If not he should be taken in right away. I would try not to let him go past 4 hours without eating, unless at night. My baby did nothing but sleep until he was almost 2 months old it seemed.lol Hes almost 5 months old and still sleeps a lot. If I were you I would call the ob department of the hospital you had him at and get sugestions from the nurses. They are awesome and usually willing to give advice and help out with things. So dont hesitate to call them.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009