• In the Spotlight:

Is this out of line and rude? Or justifiable?

My husband has a group project for a final in one of his classes. One of the kids in his group wouldn't return emails for a few weeks, and never came to class. Everything is due on Friday, and when he didn't come to class today dh and his other group member split his work between the 2 of them. After dh spent 5 hours doing this other kid's work, the other kid emailed him and said that he's been busy, but wants to meet tomorrow to do get the footage to do his part. This was my dh's response: (n answer!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We weren't sure whether or not you were going to be contributing anything or not so we had to divide up your responsibilities between the two of us. I just spent the last 5 hours today since we got out of class editing the footage that Ryan and I had, so the video is pretty much done, I'm just finishing up some voiceover work for it. I'm just going to use a standard menu in DVD studio pro unless you have made a custom one for us.

It would have been nice to have an email or two back sometime during the past 2 weeks, dude. Part of being in a group is communicating.

What do you want to do at this point?
    Anonymous

• Was his email too harsh or rude? I told him I thought it was just fine, but I thought I'd get a few more opinions.
    Anonymous

• Justifiable. I hope your husband talked to the instructor about the guy not participating.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't have been so nice about it. And I would've talked to the teacher. I've been in that situation and had to do alot of work by myself. I think he was in the right and very respectable about the situation.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 10:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Completely justifiable and I was in a group that went the exact same way. One person would flake out and want to take credit for our work after we pulled his weight too. I would make sure the teacher knew who did what in that assignment so he isn't milking a grade.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Absolutely not harsh or rude. How irresponsible can someone be!! I totally agree with the other two doing what they needed to do to complete the project and they definitely need to make sure the instructor knows exactly what happened. Best wishes to your husband!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son is in a study group that has to turn in group reports. He usually does the main part of the project and because the others are less responsible or capable as my son they have less project work to do. Unfortunately his grade still suffers for it because they still come short of a decent report or project. So your dh was right to do what he did.

Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It sounds very polite. I may not have been so nice!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• very polite while still stating a point... nicely done!
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 10:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• He was very professional in his response and the group did the appropriate thing.
    The group now needs to inform the professor of the student's lack of participation during the 2 weeks of work and lack of communication with the group during that time. The information will be taken into account when his grade is being figured out.
    Also, if he ends up doing nothing for the group project then the rest of the group has every right to leave his name off the final project.

As a student in an online college, just about every course I take involves a group project and I have run across situations such as these many times. I don't understand why a person attends college and then doesn't participate in the course assignments. I suppose they figure a group project is an easy grade if they don't do the work. With me on the team I don't let anyone off that easy. Either everyone participates or they receive a lower grade.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:14 AM on Apr. 23, 2009