Can i dye my hair while breastfeeding?

Is it safe to dye my hair even though i'm breastfeeding, and are there hair dye's that are safer to use than others? I know the skin can absorb some stuff but is the amount that it absorbs gonna get in the breastmilk to make my milk unhealthy for my baby. I've breastfed before but didn't dye my hair then. Sorry if this sounds stupid.

FinleyFirst

Asked by FinleyFirst at 10:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not a good idea.
    Anonymous

• no the stuff in it can get to the milk and you can give it to the baby
    Anonymous

• Wow good thing you elaborated. I thought if you could breast feed and dye your hair at the same time that would be a trick.

Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• There is no evidence that hair care products (dyes, permanents, or hair relaxers) used by a nursing mom have any effect on her breastfeeding baby.

According to theBREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, published by La Leche League International, no evidence exists that the nursing mother's use of hair-care products, such as hair dyes and permanents, has any effect on her breastfeeding baby. When a mother uses hair-care products, some of the chemicals will be absorbed through her skin. If her scalp is healthy and intact, less will be absorbed than if the skin on her scalp is scratched or abraded.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have also been told the same thing maggie was quoting
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 11:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• there are hair dyes out there that don't have ammonia in them, they are perfectly safe for you, keep in mind that they don't last as long as the other kinds but it's still worth it. I wouldn't go near ammonia either breastfeeding or with a child in the house!
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It's completely safe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I use the Natural Instincts without amonia while pregnant or nursing but I have to do it more often.
    munchkinaplenty

Answer by munchkinaplenty at 8:41 AM on Apr. 23, 2009