I'm thinking of getting a tattoo but I need some help

I'm thinking about going with my little sister (who already has several tattoos) and one of her friends (I have no idea where he will put another tattoo but whatever) to Dallas this weekend. They are both getting tattoos. So here's the deal.... I want a tattoo of my sons baby foot print (the ones they do in the hospital) on my upper back, like my shoulder I guess, with his name on top and his b-day on bottom. My mom thinks its dumb (but she's old school, so take it for what its worth). What do you think? Dumb idea? Good idea? Thoughts on making it better?

Chandra034

Asked by Chandra034 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• just my opinion...but I am thankful that I made it through my younger years without ever getting a tattoo...so many of my friends have them and now we're in our 30s and they all HATE them.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• what about his hand print? i saw a girl at the pool who had her DDs and her name below it. it was really neat. it was in the top middle of her back like somewhere between the shoulder blade. id say go for it. it looked really cool.
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 10:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have thought about that. At the same time its not like im getting a butterfly or angel wings or something random though and im not having anymore children so i wouldnt be covered in footprints or anything lol.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• hold on it was the name on top and the date on the bottom
    trelyn

• i would love to get a hand print but i want it to be one of those "baby" things and for some reason i never got a hand print.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i am 38 and i love my tattoos. they mean something to me. i have an angels wing for the baby i lost, a moon with stars for each mof my kids. and four leaf clover(irish)!!! i never got some sh*t tat. so i say do it. its your baby. so i doubt that youd regret it.
    Anonymous

• my mother and father think tatoos are dumb too. but i have a flower on my lower back, and as soon as i have my son am getting an anklet with roses, his name and my daughters name in the vines. so i say go for it if you want it, and thats a good spot you can cover it and it isn't an area that really sags as you get older.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• SOOOOOO many people have it.
    and it spreads and looks terrible.
    i have full arm sleeves, leg sleeves, and my entire back done, etc.
    i think they are terrible.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i too think its very Fad-ish, like those stupid barbed wire tribal bands around all those idiots arms now... if you want to incorporate your child into it, id sit down with the artist and throw around some ideas. s/he will sketch up a few ideas for ya and call ya back when they are ready.

Don't be generic-- take it from someone whos a tattooer in the family!!! Good luck!
    Lipstk713

Answer by Lipstk713 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• make sure the artist you are going to knows how to free hand and tell him you want something that no one else has , my hubby is a tattoo artist he has been doing it for over 15v years and he does all of mine and i never pick any out of a book they are all free hand. get a portrait of you childs face they are the best but make sure you see his work before you let him touch you just remember they stay with you the rest of your life. if you do a self portrait then you know nobody else will have the same tat. best of luck do not get drunk before hand or you will bleed out your ink.
    joce79

Answer by joce79 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2009