Getting married just because you are pregnant or after the child is born?

I think this is the dumbest thing ever. It doesn't make a difference whether or not you are married to the father! It doesn't make you look any better just because you married the guy! I think it is just ridiculous to get married just because you had a child. Personally I think it just makes you look stupid. Especially if you are between 16-25 years of age. Do you honestly think it will make it any better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• If you're not in love, don't marry.
    Anonymous

• I cant wait to get married to my daughters father, because child support wont leave us alone, even though we live in the same house.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Wait what HelloKitty? That sounds ridiculous. But, if your in love with that person, that marry them. Even though the divorce rate is 50% now. It could always work if you want it to.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 10:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I do agree that no one should get married purely because of a pregnancy. But you are wrong on saying that it doesn't make a difference whether or not you are married. A child should be born into a family and grow up in a happy stable home. If people decide that the best thing for their situation is to get married than that is great for them. A lot of people don't want to just live together. Their morals are that a couple should be married before they live together.
    Why go off on a rant about other peoples' life choices? Do the reasons other people got married affect you personally?
    Anonymous

• It's dumb...my mom did it and I'm sure you can guess how that turned out
    Anonymous

• I married just b/c i was prego ..oh yeah and the little threat of prison my father gave my hubby ...but anyways we are 13 years strong and still in love.
    Damions_mom

Answer by Damions_mom at 11:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• everyone got thrown for a loop when i decided to break off my engagement with my daughter's father.

they kept thinking... "YOU broke up with him? usually it's the guy that runs out..."

but yes.. i knew i didn't want this.. not yet. i still have a life to live.... and i'll do that with my baby.
    not tied down to a guy i'm not even sure i'll like next year.
    Anonymous

• wow you have some strong feelings about this
    Anonymous

• I do not think getting married just because a woman is pregnant or two people had a baby is the right thing to do. My Dad married my mom when he was 20 and she was 16 (this was the 70's) because she was pregnant. She cheated on him the entire time and they divorced after 26 years of marriage. He was told to do "the right thing" and back then that was it. People should marry those that they love, not just those they procreated with. As a side note, that happens so often that people assume young couples are getting married because there is a baby involved. DH's Dad asked us if thats why we were getting married (we were 18 and in high school) but that wasn't why. We loved each other and still do...10 years and almost 3 babies later. :)
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2009