Children's haircuts

How old is your DS/DD and what type of haircut do they have?

My son is almost two and has blond curls that are at his shoulders. He looks like a boy and people can tell he is a boy, but my parents an in-laws don't like it they think he needs a boy haircut. They are always saying they are going to put bows in it or if we don't cut it they will. It gets cut and stays neat, it isn't stringy. My husband and myself like it and I think that is all that should matter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• What you and your DH like is all that matters (until your LO is old enough to have a say and then I think his opinion matters, too:) Your in-laws should mind thier own business, sorry but, they should.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my daughter who is gonna be 5 in one week has straight hair that goes to her bum, all one length, cuz i cant stand bangs!!! im so jealous of it!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• YOUR KID, YOUR CHOICE, my son is 10 and we are going through the issue of what he wants and what I want. Guess what-Mommy wins!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm with you Gigi1969. I told my oldest that I get the final say on the haircut because I pay for it and I have to look at it. I told him that I was a lot nicer to him when he looked as cute as possible, lmao!

As for my two-year-old, he just got his first haircut because his hair was getting in his face and bothering him all the time. It's still long, all one length, like a bowl cut I guess. It looks just like his dad at that age. That's why I picked that cut. It's looks perfect on my son.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 1:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My son had a head full of curls and people thought he was girl. My aunt cut it one day when she was babysitting and I cried and his little blond curls never grew back. He was one when she cut his hair.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 1:34 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• IMO, the minute gramma and grampa threaten to cut his hair, they lose the right to see him without supervision. A haircut is up to the parents and to the child if he/she is old enough to have an opinion. If they think they can run roughshod over you in this aspect, what's to say they won't do so in other things as well.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 2:37 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree with Cassidhes Mom. It's not gramma or grampa's business how the kid's hair is cut. They can state their opinion but that is it.
    Last year my son (then 6) grew his hair out. It came all the way to his shoulders and looked nice (needed a trim, though). But then we visited with family and my husband's idiot 16yo nephew told him he looked like a girl and teased him and next thing I knew he was begging for a hair cut. I was so sad to see his long locks go because he looked so cute. Now it's kept short. I usually buzz it all off when summer starts, though.
    My older 2 girls have short cuts because they don't keep it combed. They are 8 1/2 and 6 and get their hair cut to just below their ears and then grow it out. My 3yo's hair goes to mid back and she's the only girl with bangs in the family.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:25 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You have final say until he is old enought to have input. My son grew his hair out from age 13 until last month. When he finally decided to cut his hair, it was down to the waist of his pants. And it was beautiful, ladies! He always kept it washed and brushed. He learned how to put it in a proper "man" ponytail. It also became a bargining tool......as in "I don't care what you do with your hair as long as it is clean and neat.....however, if your grades fall, I reserve the right to make you cut it" It worked quite well. Now that his hair is short again, we have gone back to using the computer/playstation time as a bargining tool for grades. LOL
    InsaneReality

Answer by InsaneReality at 4:29 AM on May. 1, 2009