how can i help my baby breath he is all stuffed up from a cold :(

you can hear his nose is stuffed up and every time i try to clean it with the bulb thing he gets so mad is sucks it back into his head and i cant get anything out and so he just stays stuffy and even if i do get stuff out its just as bad. i have tried clearing his nose and steaming the bathroom and nothing is helping. its killing me and him....please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A humidifier, Vicks Baby Rub, Saline drops.... these are all my friends. lol.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I use the nose aspirator until there's nothing to get out. She hates it and screams but it doesnt hurt them..its just a really odd feeling and they dont know whats going on.
    Also the humidifier is a great idea. Keep it on, especially at night when he's sleeping. I bought one from Walgreens that has a blue nightlight on it and I love it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• and you can put something under the mattress at the head of the bed so that his head is raised, that way it runs at night instead of back out again. and vicks baby rub is the greatest thing ever
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Use a cool mist humidifer, the little noses saline spray. Put 2 to 6 drops in one nostril and wait about a minute and suction it out. They hate it but works awesome. And then do the next. You can do the steam from the shower, and prop the baby at night in a car seat or bouncy seat, or put a pillow under the head of the mattress. And that is about it, unless it is an infection. I have heard not to use the baby vicks so you might want to look into that.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• go to wal-mart they have a bulb suction that is battery powered it's called an electric asperator.the first time i bought one when i asked for it they were totally lost when i asked where to find it so when you look for it remember it is made by bebe sounds brand and the color is blue and white.you'll find it either by the pharmacy or by the baby stuff like bottles and pacifires look on the wall hanging up above the bottles.it sholud be 19.99 but it's well worth it.my son had rsv when he was 4 wks old this saved his life.
    punchout4

Answer by punchout4 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You shouldnt use vicks if the baby has a serious breathing problem (asthma and the like) because it can make it worse, but for a typical cold its fine.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Buy "Triaminic Fan" , blows the vaporub medicine into the air. I wouldn't rub any vaporub on your child. Prop up the end of the mattress too
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 10:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2009