how can you tell if your water broke of not?

i started haveing real bad contractions and i have been feeling sick to my stomach, and there is alot of pressure on my pelvis, and the pressure kinda hurts, and every time i have a contraction, i go to the bathroom just in case i have to puke, but end up, sitting on the toilet just in case i have to go pee, and i dont do a thing, and this clear stuff comes out, i whipe and its clear, and it smells like salt water......

mommy201988

Asked by mommy201988 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Is it a lot of fluid? Is it leaking between contractions? It definately sounds like you're in very early labor, though! CONGRATULATIONS! :D
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• its a trickle with every contraction
    mommy201988

Answer by mommy201988 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You could be leaking but it doesn't sound like your water has totally broken yet. It would be a GUSH and you would think at first that you lost control of your bladder. It doesn't feel like you are purposely peeing, it's weird it feels like all of a sudden you just peed everywhere. I actually HEARD mine pop first. It usually breaks in the laying down position and then when you get up the gush happens. I was lying on my side when I heard two POPs then I sat up and warm liquid just poured out of me.

How far are you? If you are not read for labor then I would call ASAP...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• im 40 weeks exactly
    mommy201988

Answer by mommy201988 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You need to go to the hospital if you are leaking amniotic fluid (my doctor's policy anyway). Even if it is just a trickle, it can open your baby up to infection and they'll probably want to monitor you. My water broke 8 hours before I went to the hospital and I had no clue because it was only trickling. They told me I should have come in when I first suspected it was trickling.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Or definitely at least call so they can tell you what to do (even if your contractions aren't far enough a part, they might have a time frame from the time when you start trickling until they want you to come to the hospital. My doc wants you to come in right away with trickling/breaking of water, other doctors want you to come in within a few hours etc.).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• now it kinda feels like i have to go crap... is this actually normal?
    mommy201988

Answer by mommy201988 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• its my first child, so i really dont know any thng about labor
    mommy201988

Answer by mommy201988 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You should get off your computer and go to the ER. Congrats!!
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 12:19 AM on Apr. 23, 2009