• In the Spotlight:

Should the rights of individuals to procreate be ignored or altered for the good of future generations?

How do you feel about population control policies?

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have very mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I hate the idea that the government could control something like that. I am pro-choice and that goes both ways. However, I also see what our worlds expanding population is doing to our natural resources and our environment.
    Imaginaryfriend

Answer by Imaginaryfriend at 11:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think that making efforts to help families control their size IF THEY WANT TO is fine. Providing education and easy access to contraceptives, that sort of thing. But China's policies of fines and forced abortions is absolutely WRONG. I think that, given the chance, MOST families will have at most 2 or 3 children, but a lot of families don't have the education or the access to contraceptive methods that allows them to limit the number of children they have effectively. The average number of births in America is 2.1 per woman. In some parts of Africa it's over 7.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• And did you all know the Chinese gov't. forced those abortions upon those women regardless that they were 7, 8, and 9 months pregnant? They also favor male children over female children!
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i think the government controls so much as it is. this is suppose to be the land of the free and each time i look more and more of our freedoms are being taken away. the government has its place but as i see it they just keep crossing boundaries that they should not be crossing.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:25 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I don't believe in it at all. I see the reasoning behind it, but the methods of controlling are hateful. Make it easier for women to afford/get to birth control. Don't force them to abort their babies.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Communism no thanks.Think we have problems now if mothers were forced to have abortions we'd have some mega problems.There is noway Americans would stand for having freedom taken away so far.At least I don't think so.I think if things went to far such as this and other areas we'd have HUGE problems beyond anything we've seen here in many years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think it would be a good idea in theory... just like communism.

If there could be a way of doing it without the forced abortions, I might go for it
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:23 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Maybe it's time to stop allowing illegals a free pass and protect our borders better.That would do a decent amount of cutting back on the population in this country at least and it's already law or well supossed to be.Too bad it is ignored
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Well sometimes you meet someone who is a total @$$ and you think "Wow, I hope they don't have kids." But then you meet their SO and their kids, and they are nice people, so I certainly wouldn't want to be in charge of saying who can and who can't have kids. Basing the criteria on anything like race or ethnicity or anything like that would be horrible. Basically reproduction is something that should be left up to the individual. We can think that based on their past record, certain people shouldn't be allowed to procreate, (Octomom comes to mind) but they seem to do so freely!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I honestly do not think that we need anything like that in the U.S. People over here really do not have a lot of children in the first place. Now if you go to some countries in the middle east or Africa where the average family has 6 children than maybe you can talk about regulating the birth rate. Like someone mentioned above we just have to tighten up our borders so that people would stop crossing over here illegally and staying here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2009