Used carseat

Do you think its okay to use a used carseat? Im having another little girl, and my daughter who it origannally belonged to is only 16 months, they still sell the carseat in stores.

Nothing is wrong with it.. it has been in no accidents..

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 11:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's fine. The only thing against used seats is when you don't know it's history and don't know if it was in an accident. As long as your seat is still under it's expriation date (usually 6 years), it's fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• since it was your car seat to begin with, it not old, and no accidents I see no problem with using the car seat. If you said you were buying a car seat at a yard sale I would say don't do it. You don't know the history of the car seat. I got into a very minor car accident and had to buy new car seats.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i agree with the other posts. you know the history and know for a fact that it's never been in any accidents then i'd use it. we are keeping our carseat for when (if) we have a second child as long as it's within the expiration date. i would not buy a used carseat from a 2nd hand shop or yard sale. it's too risky.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you purchased the seat new for your 16-month-old and know the entire history of the seat, it has not been recalled (call the company to check), and it has not expired, it is totally fine to use it for your next baby. I would never buy a used seat from someone I didn't know, because you can't tell by looking at it if it's been in an accident.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 1:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you bought it new and you check the experation date, then go ahead, just remember what the experation date is, so that you can get a new one when it does expire.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 2:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Check the expiration date on the seat and if it is still good then most definitely use it again. I would not buy a used car seat, but I would take one from close friend or family since I would trust the history they gave me. You still need to make sure it isn't expired or recalled though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:43 AM on Apr. 23, 2009