Another question from a 1st timer...

I'm scared of labor and can't imagine waiting at home until my contractions are 2-3 mins apart...did you really wait that long or did you go to the hospital as soon as you suspected you were in labor?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced so I didnt have to wait but if you feel more comfortable going in sooner you can. They probably wont admit you at that point but you can stay close by, walk the halls, whatever makes you feel comfortable.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I am not going to the hospital, but unless you want to be riddled with interventions, it's always safest to wait until your contractions are 4 min apart, 1 min long, for 1 hour. Also don't check in until you are at the very minimum a 4 lol.

There is nothing to fear about labor and delivery. Women all over the world are going through the same thing you are at the same moment! Maybe you should read *birthing from within*. It's a great book and can help you address some of those fears. It helped me immensely!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• With my first - went to hos. as soon as I had my 1st contraction. They sent me home. Told me to come back when they get closer together or pain is unbearable............

All births after the 1st I waited until the last minute to go to hospital. The doctor even made a joke that I was lucky I made it there cuz so close to pushing time.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 11:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• When labor starts- stay home, take a shower and eat something. Once you get to the hospital- none of that will happen until after you give birth! If you aren't far enough along- they will just send you home anyway! Plus- you will be more comfy at home. THey aren't going to give you pain meds if you are 1 cm anyway! It's not like the movies or TV. You will be in labor for a while. I think the average first time mom's labor is 12 hours. You will have time to make it to the hospital!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I didnt know i was having contractions at first then it felt like a tummy ache i went to the hospital and they broke my water it hurt after but not to unbearable. i did it nat. no drugs and honestly it didnt hut that bad at all after i had my little girl i looked over at my mom and said well that wasnt bad lol. you really dont have to wait do what makes you comfortable.
    rainbow_bright5

Answer by rainbow_bright5 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• thanks moms...I guess I am sort of afraid that if I wait that once i get there they will tell me I waited too long and I can't get an epidural! Once your water breaks you are supposed to go right away though - right?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009