so its abusive to eat a horse but a cow is perfectly fine?would you eat horse?

i seen a commercial for the aspca todayit showed poor beaten abused animals then it showed a horse and was like this horse will be killed for its meat? excuse me to some of us a horse is food its no more abusive than killing a cow or chicken.My husband is from japan and its common to eat horse and when I go there I eat it too.what are your thoughts on eating horse

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• in Rome, Horse is a delicacy. I couldn't eat horse, but I was raised to believe that eating horse is wrong.... though I understand that what you consider OK to eat is strictly a regional thing. If I had been raised elsewhere, eating horse would probably seem all fine and dandy!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think meat choices are cultural. Americans eat a lot of cow, pig, and chicken. I know other cultures eat cat, goat, horse...

Meat is meat. Eat what you like.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It's a culture thing..I used to see horsemeat in the meat section at the Iperfamila when I lived in Italy. I also saw ground rabbit in the baby food. Would we feed our babies ground rabbit?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• eww no
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Would we feed our babies ground rabbit?

I guess rabbit is a regional thing here in the United States. Here, in the South East, Rabbit and Dumplings is fairly common. So is Squirrel and dumplings. I've never eaten it, but know of people that do and they say it is really good...

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:58 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Rasing any animal for food is abusive, unhealthy, and bad for the environment.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I've never eaten horse (or rabbit or squirrel), but if the choice was eat it or starve, I'd eat it. I have eaten snake, alligator, and snails before. All of them were very tasty.

I'd love to raise some animals for food. That way I would know exactly what I was eating, what meds and food they had been given and why, how they were treated while they were growing, and how humanely they were slaughtered for butchering. I wouldn't raise horses for food, though. A cow and a pig, some chickens, though, would be very good to have.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It is not abusive to raise an animal to eat meat, that's only one person's opinion. It is a regional thing like posted. Every culture has different ideas on what is acceptable or not. There is also nothing wrong with being a vegetarian/vegan. It is a person's choice, and respect that, I don't eat a lot meat myself. I would never eat horse, dog or cat though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If anybody ate at one of the famous fast food restaurants in the 1970's, they ate horse meat. No one died or got sick and there was a huge commotion about it and the practice was stopped. I guess it all depends on what you are comfortable eating and if you like it or not. I, myself, enjoy venison. Many people don't. Too each his own.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 7:52 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• In France is also a delicacy. I ate horse sausage in Germany.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2009