Does anyone understand why we use methadone as a medication for ex-opied users

I'm on methadone my husband and mom don't agree because they don't understand why I need it,not want it.can anyone explain what it does for us and what the benefits are.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Health

• What are you getting off dope? Meth is supposed to help w/ dt's comming off dope. You do know meth is addictive right? I would need more info from you to give you better answer.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 8:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• As far as I understand it, methadone mimics the signals in the brain that opiates give you making it easier to stop taking said opiate drugs. Sure, you can get off the drugs but methadone itself is a drug. I guess it's just a matter of which one is more important to get out of your system. Good luck!
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Methadone is a long acting synthetic opiate, it adheres to the same opiate receptors in your brain, and since it's half life is much longer, you no longer crave opiates. Once you get up to a "blocking" dose, you are no longer able to feel the euphoric effect of any opiates, and you can function as a "normal" adult.
    Anonymous