TEEN MOTHERS

What do YOU think of TEEN FATHER's ~AND~ how can "WE" (the older generation) help you more .....
I know I will be guarding MY BOYS! more than my girls..
what do you think?

malindasb

Asked by malindasb at 11:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• ummm, i think to young, but im 18
    clmmam4ever

Answer by clmmam4ever at 12:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think there are equal problems with mothers and fathers. Its not all on the guys, and its not all on the girls. It takes two to tangle, and it takes two to have drama.
    You cant do anything but tell your children .. both boys and girls, to use birth control.

And yes, i am and was a teen mom.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 12:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Hmm... well, both my family and my husband's family was really awesome when I was pregnant, but I was also married and self-supporting (barely). I see a lot of complaining about parents trying to take over their teen's parenting styles. I think that educating your expecting teens during pregnancy, and then supporting their parenting decisions (as long as they are not endangering the baby) would do wonders to empower teen moms and dads to be stronger, more resiliant people and better parents in the years to come.

By the same token, I also think that a lot of parents of teen parents coddle them too much. Don't offer to watch your kids' kids for free! If it's for them to go to school or work that's one thing, but don't let them get away with dumping their child on you while they're off beng 17! You don't get to be 17 any more when you have a baby!

That's my 2 cents :p
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Well, as a mother, you can watch over your child. Make sure you know where he or she is 24/7. Ladies, it can be done. I was my daughter's worse nightmare. But, I didn't have a teen mom either. You have to do what you have to do.

It's a very bad situation, anyway it happens. Teens are not fit to be moms. They simply cannot handle the responsibility. It's proven over and over. If you don't watch over your child, no one else will either. You have to be on them every second. YOU ARE their birth control so to speak!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I honestly thing that children who are using birth control and the parents that are allowing it, is allowing there kids to have sex, just simply b/c birth control is caused to help prevent pregnancy, so giving a child birth control is practically saying, your safe now and make sure your on time just in case you do go out and have sex. I don' t know if it's my perspective in this situations, but if they want to adult things then let them learn about responsibility like we all did.
    Marykay_usmc

Answer by Marykay_usmc at 1:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I wasn't a teen mom, but my sister was. She was the only parent whose life was put on hold. She is now 25 and just finishing her medical assistants program, worked factory jobs the whole time my niece was growing up while the father carried about his business, offered no support, and made more children while he did not take care of her daughter.

I would say that boys need to be prepared to not only provide financially, but to also be involved with the child on an emotional level. I also, and I'm sure people will argue, think that he should be making attempts to help the mother either be home with the baby or to get her education the way they would in a 2 person home. If they knew that they would be responsible for both the mother and the baby, maybe they would be more selective about who they date and start thinking of the girls as a life partner rather than a conquest.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:23 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• We have two sons and a daughter. We started when they were very young teaching them that sex was to be only between a husband and a wife after they were married. It worked beautifully. They were all virgins when they married, so it can be done. You have to be diligent to teach and you can't turn them loose too soon. We went with our children just about everywhere they went all through high school. It wasn't that we did not trust them. We just wanted them to know that we were totally involved in their lives. They participated in all kinds of activities and they wanted us there. The few times we couldn't make it, even on out-of-town trips, they were extremely disappointed. So I think the key is to teach and to be totally involved in the lives of your children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• this is a shameless plug.. but teen mothers can get help via my group... big sisters!!! We are always looking for new members older generation and younger to help eachother through tough times. Teen parents need support and encouragement instead of dirty looks, judgement and isolation!!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Marykay usmc, I just wanted to say that teens are going to find a way to have sex if that's what they want to do. It's what they are biologically designed to do. It's pointless to argue with nature about what's right for their lives... mother nature is telling them to have sex often and unprotected :p Because my mom was honest with me about sex and how I needed to protect myself and because I saw what teen pregnancy cost my sister I was VERY careful to not concieve, but I was most definately having sex long before I was out of my teens. I got pregnant when I was 19. We were ready to start our family.

I don't think there's anything terrible about having sex as a teen in and of itself, it's being irresponsible about it that's the problem. It's shown that Christian teens who decide to have sex do so without ANY form of birth control more often than not because using b/c is admitting to having the intent to have sex.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• CONTINUED

Anyway, I don't want my kids to feel like they're doing anything wrong if they choose to have sex before they're "full grown". There's nothing wrong with it. My only hope is that they choose to wait until they are in love, because sex means so much more when it's with someone you love, and that they protect themselves from unplanned pregnancies.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 23, 2009