Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help FEVER

My son (10 months) has been running a fever since 3pm today. At first it was 99.6 I gave him tylenol at 4pm and at 9:15 tonight it was at 102.2 so I gave him some motrin now its at 99.6 but he is all sweaty and warm and waking up every hour to half an hour crying. Do I take him to the ER or wait it out till the morning?

 
Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 12:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 9 (314 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • If it's coming down below 101 after Tylenol and Motrin then wait it out.
    Many of these mommies are misinformed.... a temp of a 100 is low grade and not anything to worry about... even 104 is not dangerous. A high fever will not cause braindamage... children can have fevers over 105 and are just fine.
    You CANNOT give Tylenol every 2 hours... you will overdose your child! You can give it every 4-6 hours and it can be given at the same time as Motrin if needed. Motrin can be given every 6 hours.
    I would try Motrin first with fever... it works better and for longer.
    I agree with the poster that said ER's are being abused. They are for emergencys only. Not late night clinic visits. So unless you think your child is in danger then it can wait until morning.... and you can make an appointment with your pediatrician. But if it's only a fever... I would wait a couple of days... it's more likely viral.
    AmiJanell

    Answer by AmiJanell at 11:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • take him to the hospital he could be sick or not but i would rather spend the time at the hospital then have my kid be sick and have something seriously wrong i guess i am a worry wart my son is 8 months and if he is running a fever of 100 he is at the hospital lol
    haydns_mommy

    Answer by haydns_mommy at 12:33 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • cool him off with a damp cool ,not cold washcloth. take off his clothes and crack a window and sleep next too him, nurse if you do!
    2mothershelpers

    Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • i would take mine to the er if anything they can give him a shot of tylenol or a suppository to help the fever come down more.
    vabchmommy

    Answer by vabchmommy at 12:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Has he been teething , or been out in the air ( where it could be his ears ) .. If you got his temp down but he is still just fussly , I would keep a eye on him , keep checking his temp to make sure it does not go back up. Just cause you got the temp down does make being sick go away. I always tried tyelnol or motrin a couple of times , if the fever came back after about 2 or 3 times of giving it .. the i would check with the doctor. ( that would usaully get to day time and could see your normal doctor)
    Shaqbe4u

    Answer by Shaqbe4u at 12:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • its not a fever until its over 100.4
    so as long as it stays under that, and the baby is not lethargic, or acting funny, i wouldnt stress. If tylenol doesnt bring down the fever, and it keeps rising, then bring baby to the ER. 102 still isnt very high either.
    Auntiemom410

    Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • I work for this hospital. A fever that comes down with tylenol isn't a reason to go to the ER. Read this info on this page and it will help you:

    http://www.seattlechildrens.org/child_health_safety/health_advice/fever.asp
    a_and_j_momma

    Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:59 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • People abuse the ER anymore. It's for emergencies. A fever of 102 is not an emergency
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • a temp in an infant is considered dangerous and can cause brain damage my suggestion is to taking him to the hospital asap, I rather be safe than sorry and if you don't feel comfortable about taking him to the hospital, give him lots of fluid (water) Tylenol every two hours and Motrin two hours after the tylenol. keep him in something light weight and but I would weigh it out unless it has not gone down. good luck!
    Marykay_usmc

    Answer by Marykay_usmc at 1:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • That is not a high enough fever to cause brain damage or seizures! Wait it out til the morning...call your doc then
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Apr. 23, 2009