What does "unschooling" mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I Unschool- not 'radicall' though.
    it's homeschooling where the chiild is the main one in charge of learning. we don't base things on grade level, curriculum, no testing.

It's a child interest led learning.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• When you teach your child something different then he has already learned in school. Perfect ex., in my sons class today, they were reviewing past topics in the news. The kids were talking about 9/11 and the "smartest" boy in class (he is very articulate and has a big vocabulary)insisted that it took place in 2005 and my DS insisted it was in 2001, the smart boy argued that his grandpa is a smart man and fought in the vietnam war and has taught him all about history and war! The teacher let them solve it themselves and go look on the internet and then after it was resolved. The smart boy said "that's impossible! there were no airplanes in 2001! WTH? This is a good example of unschooling.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Unschooling is a form of homeschooling where schooling is incorporated into everyday life. For example, we planted a garden this weekend. We covered soil types, agriculture in the US, geography, science (plant parts, reproduction, ecology, pest control, healthy planting and fertilizing practices) Health and nutrition was covered as well as we debated nutrition.Which led us into social studies and crops and rotations of crops throughout the world. We had a great time doing "School" and planted our garden at the same time. Later we came in and read about different countries, thier history regarding foods and agriculture practices. They do have a curriculum for Math, but some unschoolers incorporate that in thier life lessons as well. We kind of do, as the kids measured and determined planting,seed spacing ect.
    But I firmly believe in a solid math foundation so we do extra math.
    I definitely call us unschoolers though.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Susie- what if your kids didn't want to do the garden or wanted tog arden, but not do all the calculations, etc.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Well, I have not run into that. We do things together simply because that is our family dynamics. As for if they did not want to do something, what do you do when your kids don't want to do their homework? And, it is funny because it isn't "school" to them. It is "planting a garden" I just log what they learn and do. :) Does that make sense?
    And I must have some really awesome kids, yes I am bragging. Because I never have much of an attitude problem with them at all. Knock on wood, throw salt over my shoulder.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Where the child led enters I guess is I say, "we are going to plant a garden what do you want to do to be a part of it?" There is no option of not being part of a family thing. Does that help any?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My kids don't have homework. so that question doesn't apply.
    we unschool. I was just wondering how you handle unschooling when a child doesn't want to something.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Sorry for waiting so long. Well, it is child led learning. So the parent needs to be a guide. Say for example my 14yo is interested in mixed martial arts. He takes Jujitsu. We have given him information on other forms of martial arts. So far due to his interest he has studied Brazil, Japan and China. He is learning how to make different types of weapons and the historical value in them. (We did have quite a discussion on proper use of a blow dart gun this morning.) LOL Anyway, my role is to ask questions and lead him down the learning path. "When were Samuri? Why were they important." Basically I teach by asking him to teach me.
    As far as not wanting to do something, that is a discipline issue. Not a homeschool issue. And it is odd, but I don't have that problem. Unless you count math. Then it is ME saying, I don't want to do math. LOL
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2009