When someone complains of racism or prejudism, do you just think "there they go again, playing the race card".

Or do you really believe that racism and prejudism is alive and thriving?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i do think that it is still out there. but when people pull that out b/c they have nothing else to use then yes. for example my neighbor called me a "white trash cracker" b/c i asked him not to park in front of my driveway and proceeded to tell me how racist i am.mind you my best friend is black and her family is part of mine and is over all the time. in his case, he's just being an a$$ and pulling whatever he can out of his (whats he being again?) b/c hes wrong
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Usually one can tell when someone is just trying to play the card.There is alot of that that goes on imo.Does racism still exist? Yeah but I don't think it is near to the degree some try to make it out to be and whats even sadder is some don't seem to truely want it to go away because they see that it can work to their advantage.Also,it is not just some whites that are racist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• CNN they are saying the tea party is racist- No

misuse and a cop-put

Racisam can exist have I ever heard it yes both ways

alot of hatred for whites in the inner city

maybe blacks get it too, prob. comments by teanagers I cannot stand!

George Lopez Show seems a bit too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• anywhere groups gather
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have seen both be true. Sometimes it is legit racism, sexism or prejudices.... Sometimes it is claiming so to make a stink.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Its alot of both actually. My parents were looking for a house in a white neighborhood and my mother has a sports car with the license plate "BOSSRN"...well this white guy walks out and says, "wow she's a nurse AND she's black"!
    A month ago my husband and I were at an expensive designer type mall, and a lady in Nordstrom said "Are you the father?"...I just don't see her saying that to a white couple. its hard not to call that racism.
    And when my mother was in school her counselor advised her to be a teacher because blacks don't become nurses....wth?!
    Some of you just don't get it because it isn't said to and about you. But it is alive and well.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• frown miniThis is one of those sad and unfortunate situations that is historical embedded in the people of the land.  I agree that until you have felt "it", not just name calling-that is mean too-but if you ever feel the scary type of racism that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck,  then you will know that it exsists.  Racism is also an equal opportunist because anybody can inflict it upon someone of another race.  Blacks/Whites feel it the most I believe because they were the main parties that were focused on for a period of time.  Foreigners have it bad too.  So sad.

QueenAdeela

Answer by QueenAdeela at 2:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes to "foreigners have it bad too"...It is easy to forget that people who look Middle Eastern and Islamic are now seen as an instant threat. That is an incredibly sad and offending stereotype because they are disgusted by 9/11 themselves.
    Also Mexicans and those who look like Mexicans are being confronted with racism because of the illegal aliens. Thats not fair either.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think there is a lot of racism. I think though that racism goes in all directions, from all sorts of people. There are women who are prejudiced against men, just as there are men that are against women. There are whites against minorities, and there are minorities against whites, or against other minorities. Rich against poor, poor against rich, and so on.

I do think there are people who use it as a cop out, who, basically, like to play the victim instead of taking responsibility for the fact that they created the mess they're in - BUT - that doesn't mean that all cases of it are a cop out.

Hopefully, one day people of ALL backgrounds and races will be judged truly based on who they are inside - who their actions make them - and not on superficial issues and stereotypes.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes racism and predjudice still exists but sometimes I do think people play the race card just to get their way. It all depends on the situation.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 23, 2009