Anyone else feel this way?

I do not want to get married. I have been married twice before, and my SO has been married once before. We are committed to each other. I just don't want to be married again. I don't feel all the commitment should be based on a piece of paper and a ceremony. It is about holding each other up during good and bad times. Sticking together and working as a team.

I think that marriage in this day and age means nothing and I don't want any part of that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• My "Husband" and I have been living together for 14 years. We have raised his 3 awesome children together and of course one of our own. The joys of married life are what you make them. I do agree that marriage is a promise. Marriage is about love, trust, honesty, commitment, passion, companionship. Marriage is not about a piece of paper signed by a judge, or taking on a different last name. I  believe two people can live together as married couples do without that piece of paper. We are probably more committed and in touch with each others wants, needs and desires than most people married on paper. I don't ever remember reading anywhere that a man and woman had to stand before a judge to be married. I do recall reading somewhere that a man and woman should stand before GOD and be married in God's eyes. Sorry but that judge isn't my GOD.

DJTsMommy

Answer by DJTsMommy at 3:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree
    MandMSMOMMY0607

Answer by MandMSMOMMY0607 at 1:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My husband and I are not legally married. We are recognized as common law married in the state of Colorado, but we have no documentation. I know how I feel, I know how he feels. I don't need a piece of paper that tells me how I feel. Thats my opinion of it to be honest.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Marriage is a Promise!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:59 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Because I am done having children, this is my last marriage. I could see benefits (though not required) to being married when starting a family. But if anything ever went wrong with this marriage and it ended, I would not remarry. Unless we are going to have children, I see no need in having a marriage unless both people really want to.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 2:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree with 2mothershelpers, marriage is a promise; but this day and age people seem to get married for the wrong reasons, like they expect it to come easy. I dont understand why so many women put so much effort just for the day of the wedding and not the marriage itself MOM1stepmom1 also has a valid point, a piece of paper doesnt prove love. I would like to be married not just cause im having a baby but because we truly love eachother and when we say our vows, the part that says "to have and to hold for better or for worse" I will truly mean with all my heart Im not just gonna say it because the preacher or whoever is going to be marrying me says to.
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 2:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My parents divorced when i was 6. I believe Marriage is the number 1 cause of divorce!! my hubby and I have our little girl together we know we will be with eachother forever. We arent rushing anything. our daughter has both mommy and daddy and a ceremoney and a ring and title doesnt change much at all. Exept you might be a bit more in debt for that wedding and those rings!
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 2:21 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm with you. I wouldn't get married again on a bet. I think that's why SO feels so comfortable with me. So many other single woman push to get married. Nope, I think it's domestic servitude and wouldn't do it again. Now watch some guy come along and sweep me off my feet and make me eat my words! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 10:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2009