What should I do.

My three year olds behavior is out of control. He does not listen or follow directions, overly hyper, and he throws severe temper tantrums when he does not get his way. He doesnt stay occuied very long (5 mins) for an activity. He gets into things even when disciplined for it. Ex. I will lock the cabinets and hang the keys and he will climb the counter just to get them and unlock the cabinets. I have had complaints from my work about his behavior and I dont know what to do anymore. I think he might have AD/HD but I dont want to say those words. Please help me any advice is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Focus Therapy!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:14 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• he sounds like my 3 yr old Im having the same problems as you. I think my dd may have add or adhd but i dont think that a child that young needs to be put on meds. I think maybe that with my dd she is just way to hyper and eventually she willl grow out of it. I dont see the point of drugging a 3 yr old. Let me know if you find something that helps.
    MandMSMOMMY0607

Answer by MandMSMOMMY0607 at 2:24 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• ADDING ON:
    My DS also has speech problems. When he talks it is hard to understand anything that he says.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Is he in speech therapy? If not, I would check into it. Call your school district, it's no cost to you through them. They'll evaluate him and see what if anything they can provide for him. (if you've already done this, disregard it. lol)

We've had good luck with Behavior Modification/Management. It's not that involved, but takes a lot to explain in the written word (and the stupid character limits here don't help)

In a HUGE nutshell, if you tell him to do something, he goes into time out until he is willing to do as he was told. If he doesn't, he STAYS in time out until he does. Other ideas include "practicing" situations.

Talk to your pediatrician about his behavior. There's nothing wrong with seeking help or even evaluations for his behavior issues. You may find he does have a problem or at the least you'll gain some insight and other ideas of how to handle him!

I know you posted anon, but feel free to PM me
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Sounds like you are having several issues with him and perhaps your ped can advise you on how to proceed. Kids are hard sometimes. Some are more reved up than others and need constant one on one for awhile. Self regulation is a hard thing to master for some kids. They don't transition well and that is hard too. I think your doctor can give you ideas or exersices to do with him to help him get hold of his emotions. The book Positive Discipline for Preschoolers helped me a lot. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2009