Anyone or Hubby know about A/C units?

Ok so our house is 2 years old. We have lived in it for 6 months now. Moved into it October of 08. Well it got up to 88 outside degree today and come to find out our A.C will run but it just blows out air. Not cool air. It got up to 87 degrees in our house. We just left most of the day because we couldnt stand it. We have our windows open now to let cooler night air in. It is helping a little. I went and checked on my 21 month old daughter in her bed and she was burning up! we have fans going everywhere and It suppose to even hotter tommorow.. you can find us outide in the sprinkler then. I will call a tech out asap tommorow morning. But I was just asking if maybe there was something we could try before paying out that much money on a unit that isnt even 3 years old. Anything Helps! Thanks u guys :)

misswhite

Asked by misswhite at 2:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• What type of unit is it? I would look up the model online and see if there is a reset. Most likely you need freon added. Not too uncommon. Depends on what kind of unit you have. Could just be the thermostat or something.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Oh and put a pan of ice in front of the fan. ( MAKE SURE IT WON'T SOMEHOW COME IN CONTACT WITH ELECTRICAL!) Keep it up away from the kiddos too. Put one fan in a window facing out and one in an opposite window drawing air in. I am sure you probably know this but just suggestions.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I never thought of that. and that is very good idea!! Thanks!! Its a trane model. Ill look it up.
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 2:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Depending on the type, it may have a reversing valve in it, that normally switches between heat and cool, and it may not be reversing. What you can try is turning the breaker off for 5 minutes, then turn it back on. Then see what it does. I just had this problem myself, and my dad used to work in a/c repair. If that doesn't help, then your best bet is having someone come out, b/c it's unlikely to be anything you can fix yourself. :(
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It may need more freon, which is something a certified tech will have to fix. Because it will run, it is probably not anything serious!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 8:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It is probably out of freon. If it is central air. That happened to our house when we bought it. It was in the middle of summer in texas and it kept not blowing cool air. The guy cam out and said it was out of freon. So he put soem in and cool as a cucumber. Till it leaked out a few days later because he did not fix the leak. I called him again and he said it would be a few days till he could come out. I told him that was unacceptable . We just got the house and they should have set it up properly and ensured everything was working (oh it is a mobile home) and i know what he is trying to do. Used homes only have 30 or 60 day warranty period and he was just trying to let that run out and not have to fix the problem. I told him that if he wan't there by the next afternoon i would consult my attornet. He came that day and it hasn't messed up since. Hopefully it is something simple like that is your problem. Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009