Is my nephew autistic?

Daren loves spoons. He does not like it when you touch them. He could spend hours quietly spinning his spoons around. I suppose he pretends they are little characters fighting from this game his mother lets him play. He doesn't know how to open doors still. Sometimes he swings his hands widely at the door knob or he just knocks. It is hard to understand him sometimes, but he can answer some of my questions such as "what is your name?" He knows his numbers up to 10 and most of his alphabets. He is also very shy, sensitive and cries easily, He does, more then sometimes actively play and run around with other children his age.

Mutsu

Asked by Mutsu at 2:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• thats something that a dr can only diagnose....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• There are tons of different types of autism so really without a Dr. you never really know, but I used to work with autistic teens and toddlers and a lot of them do:
    *hand flapping
    *repeat what you say,
    *acts as if they are deaf (like you're talking to a wall)
    *seldom eye contact
    *cries for no apparent reason
    *attached to odd objects (like spoons)
    *doesnt like to be touched

Like I said there are very different types of autism and different levels
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 3:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I don't know if the spoon thing is necessarily bad. my non-autistic son has a infatuation with spoons , keeps one as his lovey, and takes it every where. The spinning of objects and arm flailing might be signs though.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 6:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• There is no way for us to know. He needs to be evaluated by a developmental pediatrician. Do you describe signs of it? Yes. But there are so many disorders on a very wide spectrum if he even is on it.

And you don't say his age, so it could be an "age thing" too....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Definatly something that should be looked into.
    The behaviors do mimic Autism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 27, 2009