My 13 month old daughter walks and now climbs! Eeeek! She thinks "No!" is funny. How do we discipline when she giggles at us and we hide our own laughter because she is so cute. Are we just on suicide watch until she understands "No!"?

dazychain7

Asked by dazychain7 at 3:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NO NO NO.....shes only 13 mos. Shes a baby. She will learn NO in the appropriate amt of time, but trying to punish her is only going to confuse her. YOu simply remove her from the situation and find her something she CAN play with. Give her appropriate boundaries which it sounds like you are. I know its scary, but babies are quite agile. Shes really just exploring her world and she shouldnt be punished for that. Now by the time shes about 18-20 mos old, then she will get the time out thing and if you feel the need to paddle her butt, then fine. I am a firm believer in spanking, but not before a certain age. I don't think babies need punishment.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yep...pretty much. I am going through the same thing with my third baby.
    We just say no and take him away from the dangerous activity...ie...climbing on the third self of the bookcase...that was the new thing today.
    I think until they are able to understand the idea of danger and the concept of no, then we just have to be vigilant. And try to keep them away from the dangerous things. We block off our dinning room because our LO is always climbing on the table.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• since no isnt working put her in a corner for timeout maybe she wont think thats funny, or if you dont think its "abuse" spank her butt!! the diaper is enough padding you know it doesnt hurt unless you're using objects (which that is abuse)
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 3:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I wish spanking worked, she thinks it's funny. I thought it would at least be a bit of a shock to her to get a swat on the diaper, but she only laughs. She also laughs when she jumps off the bed. I thought she would be hurt, but she is clearly practicing to be a stunt girl. We have just been watching her closely and closing doors of rooms she may climb on things before we can get to her. All this running around and chasing her better help me get in shape! LOL! In the meantime, thanks for the advice.
    dazychain7

Answer by dazychain7 at 3:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• She understands the word 'no'. If she thinks that it's funny, she knows what it means. My son knew by the time he was 6 months. I tell him 'no, do not touch that' and he giggles and does it anyway. He understands and is just a couple weeks younger than your daughter.
    Here's what I do with my son: I gently slap his hand as a reminder not to touch the object and remove him from the temptation of doing it again. Then I help him find one of his own toys. Sometimes he cries and is upset that he can't have or touch certain things, but I know that it is best for him not to have it, either for his own safety or the safety of the object in question.
    I have been doing this since he was six months and he is actually pretty good about listening to me by this point.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 10:23 AM on Apr. 23, 2009