does anyone know a Navy SEAL?

they are wonderful and go waaaay above and beyond for our country and are also considered the best. i was reading about them in TIME magazine and my 9 yo was fascinated. he asked me if i new anyone that was a navy seal. i don't but thought maybe you guys might. does anyone know a navy seal? what exciting/interesting info do you have that i can tell my son? do navy seals even identify themselves as navy seals to the public? i wonder if because they are considered that cream of the crop, they have that cocky personality to go with it. just curious...

nairda

Asked by nairda at 3:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know any, but my dh has met some through his work, but he couldn't go into any details about it, and it was almost a year after he met them that he was able to even tell me that he met them. He said they were very nice guys, and very very very good at what they do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I forgot to say he also said they were very team oriented. I don't know if they are all like this but he said the ones he met were nice. They were confident but they weren't cocky. I guess it's because they know they're good, and they don't have to anything to prove kwim?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I used to know a man that was part of the original Seal Team 6 in 1980. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Team_Six He's (clearly) retired now...He was a true gentleman, super nice and one of the most genuine and chivalrous men I have ever met. He didn't talk much about his time in the seals, but he was a fantastic human being, I am quite sad that I don't get to see him anymore...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 4:27 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My husband has met a few and some of them were so cocky and full of themselves, he didn't want to talk to them anymore. But, he has met some really nice ones. Just because you're good at your job doesn't mean you need to be a douche. I'm sorry I don't have any info to give you for your son.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 4:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My oldest son's father was a Navy Seal. Yes, he is very cocky but then again so am I. What I loved about his training is his alertness, team spirit, attention to detail, solution orientation, self discipline, mechanical abilities and survival skills.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 5:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My husband worked with them in Iraq. He said they got along well with the Marines. They're really loyal to the other guys in their team. One hard part is--you're always ready for that call, ready to roll and sometimes you get all worked up-then nothing happens or it gets canceled. It's a lot of "hurry up & wait." He's got some good war stories while working with them-but not appropriate for a 9 year old, sorry.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I work with a retired SEAL.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My oldest brother was a navy seal. It is a very honorable and respectable position with the militery. Over 6,000 men compete in extreme physical challenges to obtain one of the possible 30 seats on the next mission. Being a seal is something is that will be carried with you forever. From what I have been told a seal's misson can range from diving rescue and recovery, look outs, spying, sharp shooting, bomb disablement, salvage. I have only heard my brother tell a couple of people, who happened to be either active or retired militery, exactly what he does. My brother retired from the militery and secured a job diving on oil platforms and repairing oil lines. Although a seal is a very respectable position, it takes major effects on the body. Almost making your bones age twice as fast.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 10:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think they are awesome however, I don't think I could bare watching my child endure the crap those poor guys have to go through to be one.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2009