Israel

Why do the Jews get a "homeland"? No other religion gets a "homeland", so why them? It doesn't make much sense to me at all. Besides all that Bible/Torah stuff, give a reason why a group of religious people can just go and start their own country (and kick out the people who had been living there for the last 3,000 years). The Vatican doesn't really count here, Catholics can't go and "settle" there. Can't build a house or grow crops. Also, I thought about it preventing another "holocaust" from happening again, but that doesn't fly either. All the Western nations knew what was happening and didn't stop it. A second time around and in this digital age I doubt it would ever happen again. Genocides still happen, just depends on what kind of resources the country has as incentive to stop it. Ok, I'm being cynical, I know. But please, enlighten me.

And be brave, be you, don't hit the anon box, I won't come after you. I promise.

mehamil1

Asked by mehamil1 at 3:19 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• God gave the Jews that land and it is called the Promised Land. Abraham had faith and trusted God. They are the apple of Gods eye!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• *sigh* I didn't want to bring the books into this. I asked why a religious group of people get to have a "homeland". An area that many religions could lay claim too. There were people in that area long before the Hebrews wandered in. Why do the Jews get to claim it?
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 3:34 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I do not argue with God.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It's not about arguing with God. It's about using logic and asking questions and expecting answers. You can't question God? Why give this one plot of land to one religious group of people? I use religious group, I don't see them as a race.
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 3:40 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I can't say that I know the answer to that question, but I personally think it's more of a heritage thing than a religious thing. Irish have their homeland, Italians have theirs, Germans have theirs, etc. I'm not too certain that it's an actual religious thing . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 7:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree with Jennijune. I don't think it's really a religious thing either, even though they claim it is. It's heritage.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:24 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Actually, the land belonged to the Egyptians LONG before biblical times, so if it's anyone's heritage or land, it's the Egyptians!

In pre-Biblical times, the area was known as the Land of Canaan and had been a collection of city-states, tributary to the Egyptian Pharoah, as attested to in the Tel-El Amarna tablets. The breakup of the Egyptian empire beginning about 1500 BC made possible the invasion of the Israelites.

The earliest mention of Israel outside the Bible, and the only mention of Israel in Egyptian records discovered so far, is a line of the Merneptah Stela (also spelled Merenptah). The stela, discovered in 1896 in Merneptah's mortuary temple in Thebes, is a poetic eulogy to pharaoh Merneptah, who ruled Egypt after Rameses the Great, in the last decades of the 13th Century B.C.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:41 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The Jews have been living there since the time of Abraham, along with other ethnic groups. The Jews haven't thrown anyone out of Israel. Israel has given back some of the territory taken in war, unlike every other country that has every existed. I don't know why you are so hostile to Israel, but perhaps you should look at some facts.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm hostile to Israel for the simple fact that we send them MILLIONS of OUR dollars and weapons so they can suppress and murder the Palestinian people. What's more, we let them get away with it because of some stupid-ass remarks made in a damn book about them being the Chosen people of God!

Why don't YOU do a little research?

Even before 3000 B.C.E., West Semitic tribal groups speaking variations of the Canaanite tongue inhabited much of what is now the modern Middle East. Many settled in the Syria-Canaan lands of Ancient Palestine. Early Mesopotamian documents refer to both nomadic shepherds and to traders. One such group, the Habiru {or Hapiru} migrated into Palestine perhaps as early as 2000 B.C.E. from northern Mesopotamia; later elements from among them formed the ancient Hebrews. As they entered Ancient Palestine, the Phoenicians in the north and the Philistines in the south occupied definite areas.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have to agree with Ihartu's wonderful response (well both of them, really)!!! : ) Facts are facts!!!!!
    sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2009