do you think there is too much fear mongering in parenting today?

i mean, depending on how old you are look at how you were raised or your parents were raised. when my mom was growing up they didnt even have car seats (granted then cars were made of metal i think still)!!!

up until 1993 babies slept on their stomachs all the time, there was no fancy coverings that they put over the matresses to keep the 'toxins' from leaking out

women would smoke throughout their pregnancies! and in the house while the babies were infants! and i bet they even ate hot dogs and deli meat!

and kids could play outside without having to worry about creep-o's!!!! im not saying everything was great because obviously the SIDS rate HAS gone down, but just think about how you or your partents were raised before you get into an anxiety induced stupor thats so easy to get worked up into nowadays

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are correct in your assessment. However, the fear mongering is kind of a cover-up in one sense of the word. You have all those things you mentioned on the one hand. On the other, you have less real hands on parenting. By that, I mean there is less real involvement in the lives of the children. Children have all the latest gadgets for entertainment. They are involved in all the sports. But the parents themselves are really busy with their own lives, whereas in the past the children were the main focus. So maybe the fancy car seats and the latest gadget is nothing more than the latest trend in parenting. It could just be about buying and selling, too.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• hear, hear! there definitely is way too much fear mongering. My back yard is completely fenced in and my side gates locked, my MIL still freaks out when she hears I allow my 3 year old to be out there playing. omg, the paranoia.

mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 4:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• FYI..SIDS rates dropped dramatically because more parents allow autopsies now. If there is no apparent visible cause of death and the parents refuse an autopsy, it's automatically labeled as SIDS.

Personally, I've taken what they say today and what parents did when I was a kid and combined the two into a way that works best for us.

If the media would stay out of it, everyone (children and parents) would be so much happier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree. I think it's a horrible shame you can't take cute pics of your child in the bathtub cause your promoting child pornography. HAlf my baby book is butt naked shots of me. And yes I remember having a car (well my parents)when I was younger than didn't have seatbelts. My oldest was born in 1993 and yes she slept on her stomach.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree and I refuse to succumb to the fear. My kids play outside all day by themselves. The other day it finally warmed up and they were out the door by noon and every time they came in I told them to go back outside. They only came in to eat dinner and were out until it was dark. They are 8, 7 and 6.
    In the summer they are usually out until past dark playing with all their friends.
    I don't parent by books or experts but by what comes naturally. If I run up against something I can't figure out or handle I consult experts (older moms) or look it up on the internet.
    There's a website/blog: http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/ that is all about raising kids without fear of crazy world and letting them be free like we were growing up. It's my favorite site.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:17 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The way some people act it's a wonder that any of us ever survived our childhood. I raise my kids pretty much how I was raised, the only difference is my kids wear seatbelts.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I agree for sure. Again Nanny B makes some good points. Anything to keep us less involved in our kids lives. I think there are some good changes. Car seats were a good thing for sure. I personally don't think my kids should have to wear helmets while riding a tricycle or even a small bike in our 20ft long driveway. My husband and I went YEARS riding bikes and making homemade ramps to jump on and crashing in the street and we never needed a helmet. Being involved in baseball is a tradition though. We are coaching teams and its fun, but our kids don't get to go all the "lessons" outside of that. Most families in this community have their kids in chorus, ballet, karate, music, wrestling, baseball, football or a combination of each one of these. Too much. I don't get all "toxin" talk either. Babies sleep on their tummies. I guess I am old fashioned.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Do you even know what 'monger' means? I don't think you do and I think you might want to dust off the old dictionary and take a look.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Anonymous, you must have been visited by the wicked itch of the yeast!! It's the spirit not exact diction that was intended. Perhaps you should power off your computer and take a nap. This is a FORUM!!! If you want English class, I hope you have time to take one before you're due!!
    anne4nra

Answer by anne4nra at 11:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• All others, I think that because we know more these days (news, health, etc.) people tend to have a knee-jerk reaction. I believe that there were always the 'helicopter' parents. Technology has just given them more than bubble wrap in the past 15 years. My son is 9 and slept on his stomach. He runs the neighborhood playing with everyone. The parents aren't necessarily best friends, but know each other by face. I always get a knock on my door when he misbehaves. I think that waterhose water and koolaide will never be replaced
    He will break an arm/leg, lose his favorite toy because he left it out, and come home bloody from a fight he started. I think all of that is part of growing up and I will NOT shelter him from any of that.
    To deal or monger in fear is shamefull. Unfortunately, there's plenty you can buy to ease that fear. Buy stock in those fears but don't subscribe. -Sell it to pay for their college!
    anne4nra

Answer by anne4nra at 11:25 AM on Apr. 23, 2009