how soon should i find a pediatrician

nraschelle

Asked by nraschelle at 4:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• before the baby is born. the pediatrician will usually go to the hospital in the days right after the baby is born to check him out and make sure everything looks normal. if you don't have one, ask your ob gyn or family doctor to refer one.
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 4:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• KNOW The baby needs to be check right after there born..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'd recommend before the baby is born. I waited and had to use the hospital neo doc and she SUCKED!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The major pediatricians in my county take turns doing rotations at the hospitals...since I knew I wanted to use them I waited until I delivered and just took who they sent up. Turns out he is fantastic and I ask for him specifically when I take my kids in. Now that being said, if they would have sent his wife up (also a ped in that office) I would have come unglued right there in the hospital. I can't stand that arrogant, cocky, mean, b*tch...I don't know how they can be married to each other being so different. My advice is NEVER be afraid to fire a doctor you don't like. I had her one time and made it all the way through the appointment when I should have just told her to get out from the get go.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would suggest before the baby is hear also.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• The hospital has pedatricians that make rounds at the hospital, so you will meet at least one of them at birth. If you want, you can use that one or if you have your own, then all the birth records and charts will be sent to the office of the one you prefer. Just make sure you make an appt for 1 week after birth. They will want to do another bilirubin test.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You'll need to have one picked by the time the baby is born. My OB required one at around 35 weeks (so they knew at the hospital to notify of a new baby)
    You will see a pediatrician from your clinic in the hospital and then after discharge within the first 2 weeks.
    You will probably see just a rounding doctor in the hospital but when you leave you can pick a certain doctor to be your child's primary.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Before the baby is born would help ... and make sure, if you have an HMO, that your pediatrician is listed as your baby's primary care physican BEFORE the first appointment. Obviously the baby has to be born in order for this to happen. But your first appointment won't be until the baby is around 5-7 days old, so you have some time. If you don't do this in time, then you will have to pay for the full office visit since you didn't go see the pediatrician the insurance selected for you.

I would honestly choose a doctor that accepts your insurance and has a very good track record. Our pediatrican is one of the top guys in his field. You can find that information on the Internet, easily. Then go see the doctor and use your gut feeling. Ask about their stance of things your feelings, i.e. vaccinations.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 23, 2009