Do you feed on both sides or one?

Breastfeeding moms, which do you do and why?

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 5:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told to start on one side and let them nurse till they are done, go change their diaper to wake them a little again and then put them to the other side. Typically my kids would nurse very little from the second side before falling back to sleep. I would then start with the side I ended on next time. You definitely need to let them finish on one side first to make sure they are getting enough hindmilk. Old school they used to tell you nurse 10 minutes on one side and then switch, but that means they rarely drain the breast and don't get as much of the fattier hindmilk which can cause problems. ALso one little tip for remembering whcih side is to put a hair tie or rubber band on your wrist. As they got older I quite doing this though (say about 6 months or so).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• you mean at one feeding? lol
    ill sometimes do just one sometimes do both. if my boobs are really full ill give her both or if she is still hungry ill give her both.....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• both is usually the norm. it keeps them even. if he only ate from one side at a sitting we start with the other one the next time.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 6:34 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I always thought you were supposed to do both sides, and used to get so frustrated because my first daughter never wanted to. Then with my second, I let her do what she wanted. I almost never fed her on both sides. I'd feed her on one side, then feed her on the other side the next time. I'm doing the same with my third this time. So if your baby wants to eat on both sides, good for you. If not, though, don't worry about it. The baby will not starve itself.
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 8:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Yes, with the new information on the hind milk, I have let my daughter nurse one side and then switch the next time she is hungry. If she has pretty well emptied one side and is still hungry, then I will let her nurse as long as she wants on the other side, but that usually only happens in the middle of the night.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My son is 13 months and he has since stopped breastfeeding but would always feed on both sides.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I do one sided feedings.... started when my son wasn't gaining weight as he should... he got more of the rich hind milk and started gaining much better and wasn't hungry as often as when I would offer both sides... because foremilk is very watery.
    If he seemed hungry after one side I would offer the other... but usually one side was enough.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• When I did BF, even if for a short period of time, I'd feed on one side only. This gave my other side a rest because my nipples were super sore.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Just one side. If I don't baby ends up with too much foremilk and gets green poops.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2009