Well now I'm curious...

In the Tampons vs. Pad question someone mentioned "alternatives" including menstrual cups. I had NEVER heard of this before so I googled it and found the Diva Cup and by extension the Luna Pads.

Does anyone use the cup? Obviously the mommy in the other question... What are your thoughts? Are the cups really leak free? Does anyone use the Luna Pads (reusable washable cotton fleece pads)? They look fascinating... Now I'm curious, but I want some feedback before I invest that kind of money ... (They're not really expensive, but a Diva Cup/Luna Pad kit is about $70)

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 5:57 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have used the diva cup for about a year now and I love it. I will never go back to tampons. I usually empty it every time I go to the bathroom just to be on the safe side. I haven't gotten any cloth pads but I want to. $70 sounds like a lot though. You could get some WAHM made pads for much cheaper. There is a group on here, I believe it is called the (.) cup. You should check it out
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think its better to buy pads or tampons. Re using something for AF vist doesnt seem right
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm thinking about making my own re-usable pads.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 6:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Mythic ... I'm kind of considering that too, but the re-usable pads thing still allows for leakage ... The Diva Cup seems to be nearly leak proof, and you only have to empty/clean it every 12 hours, it seems much more convenient.

Anon, I know, it seems strange to me too. But it's much MUCH better for the environment, and even my mom used old rags when she was a teenager, so disposable products is a very recent thing.

I wonder about the mommies that use cloth diapers too, do any mommies reading this use cloth diapers and cups or reusable pads or disposable products?
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 6:19 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• lol. I use cloth diapers. that is how I ran across a pattern for re-usable pads!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 6:32 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Looks like a complete waste of money if you ask me.
    I looked at the website, and all of the testimonials are obviously fake.
    Yea, I would definately stick to old reliable. :]
    GL
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 9:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• While I appreciate your opinion Mandy, I have looked at several other sites this evening and found the same thing over and over again. Blog after blog is filled with positive reviews of the Diva Cup. It still seems a bit strange to be, but I can't see how it wouldn't work...

And, by the way, I haven't found regular tampons or pads to be at all reliable ... That's why I'm considering this new alternative ;o)
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 9:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm totally thinking about a get together with all the girlies, a bunch of flannel, and a sewing machine and just making our own! Although the $70 is for a huge kit, which doesn't include the cup. They (Lunapads) have 2 kits with the DivaCup which are about $50 ... Still I can get it on it's own for under $40 ... I will totally check out the group, thanks for the input!

Someone said they're dirt cheap on eBay ... I totally wouldn't do that though, how can you be sure it's not used, you know???
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 10:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I just looked into all of this as I have never heard about it. I think it sounds great however, how gross is it to empty something that has been collecting heavy flow? While I was investigating I found this little gizmo called the P something or other. It allows women to pee standing up fully dressed like men do. I was laughing my butt off but I bought two to send with my girls to summer camp so they don't have to "jungle pee" as they call it at camp. I think I will order all three of us the diva cups too...I hate spending so much money on tampons each month for three women.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I'm looking forward to menapause so this question no longer applies to me.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2009