How do I get my 3 1/2 year old son to stop sniffling?

My son has allergies and will only sniffle. He can't seem to blow his nose and thinks that sniffling is blowing his nose. I have tried several ways to show him how to blow his nose but it didn't work. I am also not sure if part of it is a nervous habit. He seems to pick up a habit such as hair twiriling, rubbing his eys etc. But they eventually went away.

He hates saline drops. Can anyone help?

emb71

Asked by emb71 at 6:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Health

• try making it a game? Tell him he will get a prize if he learns how to blow his nose like a big kid. Try telling him that sniffling is for babies and ask him if he is a baby? My nephew hates anything that will make him look like a baby lol.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• There may be nothing to blow. Part of my allergy problem is that the membranes get swollen in the back of my nose and it feels as though I have something to sniff, but blowing doesn't get anything out. I control it with allergy meds and with either sniffing up water with salt in it and spitting it out or using a netipot, but for a child, I can't think either of these cleansing methods would be workable. Perhaps spraying one of those salt solutions - Ocean Spray - or something like that. In other words, it might not be his fault, he may not have anything to blow out. When I was a kid I was yelled at all the time for sniffing and for trying to clear my throat of post nasal drip- not fun. See a child's allergist, perhaps, if your pediatrician can't check on this problem and help.

Answer by Bmat at 7:41 AM on Apr. 23, 2009