How much for watching an 11 month old?

A girl that I know needs me to watch her 11 month old for the day. She asked how much and I have no idea what to tell her (my dd is 11 months old too... ). Her ds will be here from 9 AM and she said she is working on call so it could be 12, 3, or at the lates 5 when she gets out. How much should I tell her to give me for the day?

onyourterms

Asked by onyourterms at 7:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pay $25 a day, (8 hours) however that's on a regular basis. I would charge no less than $5 an hour.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I would think like $60...they each a lot at that age so I would also ask for a little bit for extra food as well. I ask my sister for $60 for her two kids 11 and 3
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• WTH, no less than 10 an hour. This is a child that you are caring for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I watched a 9 month old a few months ago for a week and we settled on $20 per day.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i normaly charge 25 a day but if its not a full day then maybe 5.00 an hour. but you could also do 20 a day like it was said. you have to feed change and care for this child you help her out and shes helping u out by throwing you a couple bucks.good luck xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• $20-$25 a day is what I pay for daycare. I wouldn't ask for anymore than that. Instead, I would ask for trade days. Like you watch her dtr a day, she watched your child a day. It's a win win there.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• wow 5 and 10 dollars an hour what planet did you fall off this is a friend right so treat her as such dont rip her off. Do the trade thing or pick a reasonable price. think about it she is going to work you want it to be worth it for her to even work if she even made 15/hr if you charge 5 thats like making 10/hr anf if you charge 10 is like making 5/hr. Come on people i think like 20-30 would be the max. i mean she is providing the diapers and food so its not costing you anything just sometime which you will still get to spend at home with your baby and she'll have a playmate.
    natasia61589

Answer by natasia61589 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If it's a friend just tell her not to worry about paying you if she will watch you kid one day this week or next and just trade child care. Even if it's just for you to get a litttle "me" time. I used to do this with my friends. It was nice once a week I'd watch there kids, they watch mine and I would have a whole day to myself! Just wish they were stil here.

www.RambingsOFaSAHM.com
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 10:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If it's a one time thing then I wouldn't charge too much; I might charge nothing and call it a favor or ask her to recipricate by watching your baby some day. If, on the other hand, you think she will be asking again then I would set a more reasonable price so she doesn't start looking to you for free or cheap care on a regular basis. A reasonable price might depend on what you are giving up to watch her baby or what she is gaining by having you do it. If she has a pretty decent paying job I would ask at least $5 per hour, but if she is scraping to make ends meet I might ask less. If it really doesn't matter and you don't see it becoming a frequent thing, then you might just tell her to pay whatever she thinks is fair or reasonable.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I used to sit once in a while for a girl I know from 7am-4pm and she would pay me $25-$30. I thought that was reasonable! I don't like to charge by the hour because most people make min wage so it seems like they would be working just to pay a sitter. Not fair.... 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2009