Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good Morning ladies! I was wondering if anyone could give me a little insight on my change of name. I just got married 2 weeks ago and received my certified marriage license yesterday afternoon. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which documents need to be changed and how I go about doing it. Thanks!!

Answer Question

Asked by Kimmers1116 at 8:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 3 (14 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • SSC, Driver's license medical, dental, any memberships...pretty much anything with your name on it needs to be changed.

    Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • I believe to officially change your name you just have to change your social security card. I went to our local office after we got back from our honeymoon and applied for a new card. They just had to see my marriage certificate (the one that was signed at our wedding) and that was it. I left with my name officially changed to my husband's name.

    I didn't get my license changed until later that year when it expired because...well, I just didn't think about it. And only 2 of my credit cards were ever changed to his name. After I did the SS thing I signed everything and applied for things with my new name.

    Answer by justanotherjen at 8:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • SSC can be changed by going down to the SSoffice, DL by going down to the DMV they will help you out and you will need to do the SSC before all else. You will need your SSC for the DMV.

    Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:08 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • bank accounts, bills, anything like that you can change your name on, but you don't have todo it immediately. (it's easier to do it right away though so you don't forget. )

    Answer by BisketLiss at 8:14 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Everything that has your name on it, shopping cards, credit cards, bank account/atm card, drivers license, your pay stub (your employer can tell you what to do- I quit working three weeks after I got married, so I just waited til then to change my name so I'm not sure). Most places just need a copy of your marriage with your married name on it, some places won't ask for any of it. I financed my car right after I got married, but the not before changing my name. I changed the name on my account over the phone, simply by calling, but had to go to the dmv to change the name of the title.

    You can call ahead to most places (dmv, soc sec office, bank, where ever you need to change your name at) and they will tell you what you need to bring with.


    Answer by Crystal1124 at 8:14 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Thanks Mamas!!!

    Answer by Kimmers1116 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Probably the first 2 things you're going to want to change are your identifications like your driver's license and social security cards so it is easier to change everything else.

    There are lists online that have everything you can think of to change so you don't forget anything! Good luck!!

    Answer by kabbot01 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • I found a site somewhere, i can't remember the name of it but you print out all the papers you need to change your name and then just send them in to all the places that you'd have to let know. It was a kit so that you wouldn't have to try to remember where all to go. Maybe try searching it in Google.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • Begin with your social security card. Generally, you cannot change any other documents or information until that is changed.
    Then begin with your license, insurance, your employer, any 2009 W-4's that you filled out, utilities in your name, your lease or mortgage, your bank account, your medical records at physician's offices that you frequent regularly, credit cards, library card - anything and everything that has your name on it.
    Then the fun begins with ordering new checks for your checking account with your new name and address labels!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

  • congrats!! & good luck!! the 4 main..and in order r and other things like library cards..gas cards..basically everything in your wallet..most of the stuff as u know can be done by phone or online..except social & license..hope that helps along with everyone elses advise!! enjoy your marriage!! much Blessings.. .

    Answer by ta2craze at 11:38 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.