Don't CFL bulbs have mercury in them? And how do you safely dispose of them?

I was at Lowe's to switch to CFL bulbs when one of the workers started telling me that not only do CFL bulbs have mercury in them, but there is currently no way to dispose of used ones!!! So how is THAT good for the environment?????????

4kidsandadog

Asked by 4kidsandadog at 8:19 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I've often wondered the same thing...
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• You can take them back to your local Home Depot and maybe Lowe's too. Call both of them to find out. Check out your local city halls website if they have one and see if they have information.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:24 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• They're not, but environmentalists love to THINK They are saving the planet! Watch this House of Representatives video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LOtKIIKcg

I also wonder what is going to happen with all of the spent Hybrid car batteries in a few years....they'll just hang out in some landfill for several thousand years?!   Save the planet today, worry about the repercussions tomorrow!  ::sigh::

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• yes they do..we received free trial ones from our local electric sompany. However our recyle center accepts them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I just called our local recycling center and they don't take these bulbs. So now I switched and I'm going to be harming the environment because I don't know what to do with them! I can't win!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 11:25 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• How sad. My husband switched all the bulbs in our house and I hate them. And now I read this. Goodness gracious!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Try other recycling centers. I do think that Lowe's and Home Depot will take them, though, you'll have to ask.

I have to agree with LoriKeet - what will happen to the Hybrid batteries? I work in an auto repair shop and I rarely see a battery last past 7 years. Does anyone understand how much that main battery in those cars costs?? Check into that before buying your next hybrid.
    garfanatic

Answer by garfanatic at 2:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009