When some one asks you to mary them...

is there any other possible answer besides yes that would result in a relationship continuing rather than ending? (no one has asked me lately, I'm just thinking a lot).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• How about "yes, BUT....." And then explain that you would like to marry the person, BUT, in due time...after you complete your education, after you start/establish your career, after you've saved some money towards a home of your own, when you feel ready to have children, etc...

Just because someone proposes, doesn't mean you have to marry within a few months or a year. THOSE are the kind of things a healthy relationship SHOULD be discussing, before saying "I do!" :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Maybe if you said not yet, but eventually. Otherwise, no, because there is no reason to stay in a relationship going nowhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Not sure what you mean, but there is nothing wrong with marriage, if you mean living together umm that is your choice. The old saying "why buy the cow, when the milk is free" still stands though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• When I was 15, I was moving away and the week before I left my boyfriend at the time said we could get married. I said not then, maybe later on but not then. He was much crazier about me than I was about him. It ended a month or so later.

I got pregnant at 17, by boyfriend at the time said we could get married. I told him no way in hell... He wasn't asking because he wanted to, I guess he just thought it was the right thing to do. We were together about 4 more months.

When I was 18, I ran into an old friend at the grocery store. THis kid always had a crush on me, and he was super sweet so I figured it wouldn't hurt to hang out. He came to my house one day, and was messing iwth my mom's dog and she told him to stop cus sam bites and made some joke about him suing her... so he told her that he would never sue the mother of the woman he loved. We stopped hanging out shortly after than. He didn't actually propose but still
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• How about "Im just not ready for marriage yet - I love you very much, but Im very happy with the way things are right now." Seems reasonable to me.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Since I'm one who tries to incorporate humor in uncomfortable decisions I'd say something like "Whoa there big fella. Marriage? I'm not ready to go there but we can keep the idea on the shelf for later consideration". Also, since it hasn't been brought up now you can bring up the subject of marriage and that you don't want marriage right now. That way he knows not to ask. When SO and I met I told him "don't be fallin' in love 'cuz I'm not getting married again.". That let him know my personal boundaries. Since you are probably younger and may want to get married some day you can just let the guy know it's not something you want in the immediate future.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009