Also about the Plan B pill...

They also mentioned on tv that it's being compared to abortion. Do you agree? The pill to prevent the actual fertilization of the egg, right? So I don't think it can be compared to abortion.

Buffie95

Asked by Buffie95 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• People are just plain ignorant!
    The normal menstrual cycle is altered, delaying ovulation; or
    Ovulation is inhibited, meaning the egg will not be released from the ovary;
    It can irritate the lining of the uterus (endometrium) so as to inhibit implantation
    You are not pregnant when you take the pill. It should be compared to birthcontrol pill.
    It's for people who are not taking birth control pills and had unexpected sex without protection.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 9:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• See, that's what I think. It's only effective for a certain amount of time after sex, right? I thought it was for preventing a pregnancy. Now some are saying it's like an abortion, which is just absurd to me. Some people, they almost seem to think they are God. Ok, maybe alittle strong there. But I couldn't think of another way to put it. They need to get a life, one that doesn't impede on everyone elses personal life.

Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:47 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• If you take the morning after pill after fertilization, it isn't that effective.
    Morning-after pills aren't the same the abortion pill. Emergency contraceptive pills such as Plan B prevent pregnancy. The abortion pill terminates an pregnancy.

Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 10:00 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Plan B is just a large dose of birth control pills. It doesn't end a pregnancy it prevents a pregnancy.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• There are still some people out there who think the pill causes an abortion every month, so you gotta figure the mentality we're dealing with here, Buffie95. The morning after, or plan B pill is the sameas a whole month's supply of birth control pills in one. If you are pregnant it will not harm the baby or cause a miscarriage. If you are not pregnant, it will thicken the mucous in the uterus to prevent any sperm from reaching an egg if one is present, and it will prevent an egg from being released if there isn't one already waiting. It also hardens the lining of the uterus, so it's like it is on your non-fertile days, and any fertilized egg will not implant. Plan B prevents a pregnancy, which is why it is usually given to rape victims. That way they don't have to agonize over whether to have an abortion, have the baby, give it up for adoption or keep it, and so forth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Im prolife- and I dont think that at all. I believe life starts when there is a heartbeat (roughly 8 weeks).
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Bexi, does that mean that you are okay with abortions before the heartbeat begins?
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I wonder, too, Bexi. I am prolife, but I also am prochoice. IF someone thinks their only option is abortion, it's not my place to comment unless I'm asked. I don't think it's a baby until there is a hearbeat either. Some think it's a baby at time of fertilization.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Anon :21, I know, the mentality issue. I guess I am still really surprised at the low level of it out there.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It is my understanding that the plan B pill will prevent a fertilized egg from implanting. Basically, it makes the uterus "inhospitable". I do not think it is the same as abortion at all.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2009