Newborn Sleep?

My three week old is having trouble sleeping in her pack and play next to my bed... She only seems to wanna sleep with either me or her father holding her and when we put her down it seems like she will be content for only a short period and than start getting fussy and cry... i have tried to leave her be for a little to see if she will go back to sleep but it doesnt work.... any ideas of what i can do to get her back into a routine of her sleeping in her pack and play?....

kwiseman19

Asked by kwiseman19 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried swaddling her? She might be moving in her sleep and be waking herself up because of that. My son would startle and flail his arms until I swaddled him. He slept much better after that.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 9:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• she hates being swaddled, i have tried.... she breaks her arms out of it and it makes it worse swaddling her than just letting her be.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• i have a 6 week old and she we had those same issues. she would wake up as soon as we'd put her down and would kick out of her blankets. i bought an actual swaddle blanket that has velcro so she can't bust out of it. we also started a night time routine about 2 weeks ago: bath, story time, feeding, classical music... and she is now sleeping through the night! oh, and she also wont sleep in her pack and play... she sleeps all night in her swing
    terahg

Answer by terahg at 12:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Our son REFUSED to sleep in the Pack N Play. That was our original plan; have him in the Pack N Play next to the bed. He decided that wasn't going to work, and that he was going to sleep with us. It's worked well for us, and he sleeps a good long 12 hour night now (still wakes to nurse). He also hates to be swaddled from the get go. I would say either try the crib (if you have one), or try bringing him into the bed with you. It's natural for a baby to want to be held and comforted by mommy and daddy, especially one that young. Give it some time, and try to get rest when you can. You might also try reading "The No Cry Sleep Solution." It really helped us.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2009