Am I just being cranky?

I have 3 kids that go to a very small daycare. I've been extremely happy with them up until the past month or so and now it seems that everything is getting under my skin.

On Monday, I handed my tuition check to the lady who was caring for my youngest and the owner flew into the room and took it from her. Then she asked to speak to me outside and told me to NEVER give HER money to one of her employees. I was just speechless - one, because she was scolding me and two, because she doesn't trust them with a check but I'm supposed to trust them with my children?

Now I just am very unhappy and am thinking I need to start looking at another daycare. I know my kids love it there though and it will be hard to get all three in one daycare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Gosh Girl, welcome to my world. I hate daycares, I can't seem to find a single one that I am satisfied with and I don't trust in home daycares. Yes, I would feel the very same way you are feeling. I would tell her simply, she can take the check and stick it up her.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I think you should ask her. Don't know if it's true, I've heard you can have a police check run on employees. Also double check with the state that the place is properly licensed, with your county too. Probably though she's being extra careful. When we get busy with kids, certainly in a day care setting where there are typically more kids than at someone's home, we can mean to put a bill in our inbox and accidently misplace it. It could all be as innocent as that. Have you asked other moms?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• It may be that it is just policy that she collects all the money. Some businesses do that. But the way she handled it was wrong. She could have been a lot nicer and just said that policy is she collects it. And I do see your point about if she doesn't trust them with money, how can you trust them with your kids. I'd at least start looking around for another daycare. If the kids love it where they are, things can't be that horrible, so you could take your time to find somewhere else that they will love just as much, and will show you and their employees more respect.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• wow see this is why we try to keep me home with the kids. maybe the employee is suspected of taken money. corse the women couldve been better going about it.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I can see your consern!As one of the posters said ask if they run background checks on thier employees,you might even request seeing such.You wrote the check out to the daycare thought I dont even think there is anything she could do with your check!
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 10:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• She could easily get a start on stealing your identity. She's got your name, address, and bank account number on that check. YIKES.

On the other hand, she's taking care of kids. We're all moms so we know what it's like. It wouldn't take much for her to forget that she had that check- and unintentionally not give it to the owner. then the owner doesn't think you've paid, they ask you for another check, that upsets you- they may even want to charge you a late fee etc. You can see how it would quickly become a mess.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• At my son's preschool, there is only one person that we are allowed to hand the money too. But we were told upfront that all money must be physically placed in this person's hand. It isn't because the others aren't trustworthy, but this one person is responsible for the money. One of the others could forget to give it to her and place it somewhere and forget about it or a million other scenarios. When you hand your money to the person responsible for collecting it, you don't spend the whole day thinking "I hope she gave the check to so and so".
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2009