• In the Spotlight:

At war with a 5 yr. old every morning over clothes!!!!`

Each morning is starting with a battle over clothes. She wants inappropriate weather wise choices, and no matter what I suggest, it is too itchy, too long, too blue, too soft, whateer! Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put together 2 or 3 choices of shirt, pants, etc., and let her choose from them. This way you are happy b/c they are appropriate for the weather, but she still gets to make her choice. OR, and this is what I did with one of my sons one day, let her wear whatever she wants, even if it's not appropriate. When my son went out in a sleeveless shirt and shorts when it was 38 degrees, he turned right back around and changed his clothes then. And now he'll ask me every day is it hot or cold.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have to put away non-seasonal clothes, and put out only those clothes that are "acceptable." I meet a little resistance in the beginning, but soon enough it fades, and they "discover" old favorites and new choices that they end up liking.

I also bring my 7 year old clothes shopping and let him pick the colors and styles of clothes that he likes (from choices that I make!). I think your 5 year old, if she is very picky, will appreciate having some input, and will likely WANT to wear the clothes she picks out, and that you approve of.

I also hang my children's clothes in their closets (I only use dressers for socks, underwear, PJ's, and extra bedding)--shirts on the top rung, pants/shorts on the bottom--makes it easier for them to see all of the options available, and to be able to "mix and match."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:03 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• PUT AWAY STUFF U DONT WONT HER TO WEAR. WE GOT OUT STUFF NIGHT BEFORE. MY 7 Y OLD HATE STUFF I GET HER OUT., SO I SAY YEAR U CAN WEAR THIS OR THAT.. MY 4 Y OLD TWINS WEAR WHAT I PUT OUT..ON WEEKND I LET EM PICKDOUT THAY OWEN STUFF/
    KRISSH

Answer by KRISSH at 10:20 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Thsi made me smile...I haven't really had this problem with my kids, sure they have prefrences so I work with that, during certian times of the year we need both winter and summer clothes out, you might be in the same position. But my mom and little sister had this issue, I am 7 years older so I can remember it well, the battles they would have and she was PICKY. My mom finally let her do it herself, she had a pin made that said "I dressed myself today". In the begining she was always weather inappropriate, and the combinations she came up with...goodness, stripes with polka dots (think back 20 years to the styles) It was embaressing. But after being cold a few times or hot, she at least let my mom say what type (not style) would be better. Let her do it herself, I can always tell the kid who picked thier own clothes, and it doesn't reflect on the parent, just that the kid has some individualtiy!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:19 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• We see a lot of this in preschool. Pick your battles! We had the son of a judge come to preschool every morning in Feb wearing shorts, winter boots, and a winter coat. He knew that if he wanted to go outside he would have to put on the long pants in his cubby. Eventually he just got over it. I think this is really common with girls. I like the idea of setting out three outfits or so and letting her feel she has some say but not all. Sometimes you just have to let your kids deal with the choices they make to learn a lesson. If she wants shorts and party shoes and it is cold outside, well then it won't take her long to make a better choice now will it?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I had the same problem. I got so annoyed over the constant battle that I told her she could wear what ever she wanted, but she couldn't complain about it. This past winter she put on a really cute dress and wanted to play in the snow. I told her it was her decision. We weren't outside 2 minutes when she wanted to change. Last summer she put on her "most favorite" dress and about died becuase she was so hot. After a while she learned what was more comfortable and I had no more battles.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Let her wear what she wants. She 's the one who will be hot or cold. Or put her winter or summer clothes in the basement.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• As parents, we need to learn to choose our battles. Unless it is a health and safety issue, let her wear what she wants. Be sure that you explain to her that she will be uncomfortable, and will not be able to go back home and change clothes (this means that you cannot let her go back and change, be strong!!). It will be a tremondous addition to morning calm if she lays out her outfit before she goes to sleep at night; she may not be much of a morning person and may be more agreeable at night.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My oldest is like that. She's almost 9 now and still chooses tank tops and skirts in the dead of winter and wears jeans in a heatwave. When the seasons change I go through and take out the inappropriate clothes but some always get left in her drawers.
    When she was in kindy she was in public school and no matter what we tried she always fought me on what she wore every morning. We tried picking it out the night before but as soon as she got up she would refuse to wear it. There were a few days I had to literally dress her like a baby and haul her to the bus stop screaming because she refused to get dressed and wanted to wear dirty jeans and shirt that was too small and showed her belly button which I found unacceptable. Glad she wears a uniform now, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2009