any tips on what i can do to help him understand....

my son is 2 and a daddys boy. well daddy left for deployment this morning for 5 days. we told andy yesterday that daddy had to leave for a couple days and he will come home soon. now my hubby is gone and andy is walking through the house crying looking for his daddy. he has gone to the bathroom, our room, and looked outside and of course cant find his daddy. any tips on what i can do to help him understand? i know hes 2 and probably wont understand that daddy had to leave but we try to explain everything to him anyway. but i feel so bad for my little guy :(

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• oh my husband's not military but I know what you mean. When my son was two, at one point hubby was gone for a week and ds woke up one night sobbing and sobbing "oh my daddy oh my daddy" it gave me chills to hear my baby sob like that. I just let my son cling to me alot and in that time encouraged even more cuddling to help decrease his lonliness. Maybe hang a picture, new, of hubby and around it hang pictures or letters your son's drawn or written for daddy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Awww, it is so hard at that age to explain to him. I'm so happy it is only for 5 days and not longer, though.
    Do you have a picture of your husband that you can put next to his bed or someplace at his level so he can see him?
    Making a transfer to put onto a pillowcase is a favorite among children and deployed military members so they are sleeping with their loved ones each night.
    Try to keep your son busy with various activities to take his mind off of wandering around looking for his daddy. He can play with Play-Doh, draw pictures, go to the park, and you can sit on the floor and play with his toys with him.
    I would hold him more and give him extra loves and tell him what a good boy he is and how much daddy loves him and how daddy will be home soon.
    Perhaps even a handmade calendar just for the 5 days so you can put a big red X through each day can show him how soon daddy will be home will help.
    {{{HUGS}}}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• aww honey im sorry. thats so sad. i wish i had some words of wisdom for you. just try to comfort him as much as you can and get him busy as a little bee to try to keep his mind off of it. good luck give the little guy a hug for me.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Oh hon thats a hard one. Heres a suggestion though... maybe you could make something for your son everyday, like a note or card that you read to him everyday and make it from daddy and tell him daddy misses him too and wishes he could be here but since he can't be here right now, he sent you this note to tell you how much he loves you and missses you and can't wait to get back home to play with you. Just because daddy is away right now does not mean he dont love you or isn't thinking about you everyday. Show him pics of him with daddy or just pics of daddy and tel him he can hang onto one until daddy gets back. He can kiss it and sleep with it and talk to it and you promise daddy will know about all the tears and kisses he gets even when he's away. Maybe daddy is crying too because he misses you and if you stop crying and tell daddy (the pic) it's ok then both of you will be stop being sad. You dont want daddy to be sad right
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 10:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• cont i hope this helps. good luck.
    mom_wrhsc

• Give him an old t-shirt of daddy's to hold onto until he gets back and how pictures, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My hubby is not military but we go through this whenever Bill is gone. I think the shirt is a great idea. I would let him have a pic to carry with him or better yet make one of those buttons to pin on him of a pic of your DH. He is young so I think keeping him very busy and distracted will be what helps you most. Have him draw daddy a picture etc. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• My husband left for 4 weeks for school. The my son was NOT happy that his daddy was gone. He kept waking up crying that he was sad cus he couldnt give daddy a goodnight hug and kiss. When I spoke with my husband i told him to send a good night text, saying good night, I love you, sweet dreams, whatever he tells him every night. So every night as he was crawling into bed, I'd bring my phone and read his special message from daddy and then give him an extra hug and kiss for daddy. I was suprised how well that worked.

He drew lots of pictures, and wrote him emails (gotta love AKO! He was able to write back, since it was his military account), and would call and leave him voicemails, even tho he was only able to get to his phone every few days, and we took lots of pictures to show daddy what we were doing while he was gone, some I would send in text message, some in email, so I printed and sent in the mail.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2009